Exhaust silencing bung for 4" tail pipe

Gaaables

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but this has got the grey mater going!!

Any ideas to if the more expensive one with all the perforations in the baffle would reduce the Db more than the cheaper ones?

The cheaper ones are similar to the ones in my K1, but could do with reducing the sound a little more!!

Cheers

Thanks Gaaables.

I can confirm that the basic baffles do reduce the noise substantially.

The Japspeed K1 would be unbearable to drive without them, now it just sounds good when putting the power down, but quieter when cruising. :thumbs:

I did initally fire my Zed up without them in and left it idling for a couple of mins out the front of the hose, one of the neighbours happen to be passing and made a comment about how loud it was!

Difference in DB for K1 is:

Bunged (loud mode) - 93Db - 3/4rpm static test

No bungs (insane headache inducing mode) - 103Db - 3/4rpm static test

So 10 Db which a hell of a lot I can't remember if it's 3 or 6 Db that means double the volume. My car lasted one trackday without bungs. Looking now to have the K1 modded to be quiet without bungs as they are bad for looks and flow.

Thank's SteveW, that's a great help.

Glad to see it's low enough for track days!!

103db is insanly loud and ear plugs would be required!!

Yes, 3 Db is a double in volume, so nearly 6x louder without them!!

I've been looking in to inline silencers, you can pick them up quict cheep.

Haven't checked on space, but would be nice to weld into the straight section somewhere before the diff.

Probably could get a clamp on one if you didn'[t want to go down teh welding route.

Tail pipe definitely look so much better without the bungs in.

Quick fix is some high temp black paint to mask them slightly!

No worries mate, I've run mine bunged and unbunged on trackdays so all good.

I'm also planning on going down the inline silenced route, there is a place in Sheffield that has a good rep (exhausts uk) I'm also considering making it into a true dual and stinking in one or two in line silencers in each channel but need to enquire about the cost. Also first i want to find how much Db one silencer will remove so can decide what to do. I still want done noise but not ridiculous.

I did consider getting a new exhaust but love the look of the two cans sticking out the back.

Ideally around 88Db unbunged so I can stick the bungs in for places like croft and long motorway runs.

No worries mate, I've run mine bunged and unbunged on trackdays so all good.

I'm also planning on going down the inline silenced route, there is a place in Sheffield that has a good rep (exhausts uk) I'm also considering making it into a true dual and stinking in one or two in line silencers in each channel but need to enquire about the cost. Also first i want to find how much Db one silencer will remove so can decide what to do. I still want done noise but not ridiculous.

I did consider getting a new exhaust but love the look of the two cans sticking out the back.

Ideally around 88Db unbunged so I can stick the bungs in for places like croft and long motorway runs.

Cheers Guys.

Even with bungs in I've had comment at a track day and was probably the loudest car there!! :surrender:

Yes, the cans do look the part, especially when clean and polished! And bungs the out!! B)

I'd be interested in seeing how the Jetex fair and I agree, don't want to ruin the sound, but as you say around 88DB would be ideal especially as there are a few tracks that require a lower Db level and seem to offer better prices too.

True dual would be really nice, but would be happy with single for now if the Jetex works, should be a fairly easy job to weld in assuming there is space.

Excellent, be interested to see what they come back with, nice one buddy. :thumbs:

Jacko

Cheers Guys.

Even with bungs in I've had comment at a track day and was probably the loudest car there!! :surrender:

Yes, the cans do look the part, especially when clean and polished! And bungs the out!! B)

I'd be interested in seeing how the Jetex fair and I agree, don't want to ruin the sound, but as you say around 88DB would be ideal especially as there are a few tracks that require a lower Db level and seem to offer better prices too.

True dual would be really nice, but would be happy with single for now if the Jetex works, should be a fairly easy job to weld in assuming there is space.

Excellent, be interested to see what they come back with, nice one buddy. :thumbs:

Jacko

Jetex got back to me asking about current silencer type and volume (I.e. how much gas they can hold) that are fitted to the K1.

I've sent the details over so hopefully they'll get back to me with a recommendation to get it to 88Db without bungs :thumbs:

Jetex got back to me asking about current silencer type and volume (I.e. how much gas they can hold) that are fitted to the K1.

I've sent the details over so hopefully they'll get back to me with a recommendation to get it to 88Db without bungs :thumbs:

Hi mate,

See below for response from Jetex, sadly not provided any Db reduction figures so will be a case of giving it a go.

I'd just be happy if I could get rid of the bungs and get the Db down to what it is now. If I get any more from them other than below I'll let you know :thumbs:

Hi Steve,

Generally, the larger the silencer volume, the greater the reduction in sound. How much room do you have under the car to allow silencers to be fitted? These are the only 3 options that are straight 1 in 1 out that would realistically fit under the car.

U307600R

Oval silencer box [TURBOTIGHT] [3 inch] [stainless steel] - H=140 / W=220mm / L=250mm

£99.32

U337600R

Oval silencer box [TURBOLIGHT] [3 inch] [stainless steel] - H=140mm / W=220mm / L=420mm

£94.27

U447600R

Round silencer box [TURBEX] [3 inch] [stainless steel] - Dia=125mm / L=625mm

£111.20

other manufacturers to try off hand might be

magnaflow

mongoose

milltek

custom chrome racing

longlife

power flow

mij performance

Hayward and scott

or try seeinf if you can buy a can off ebay, and getting a local place to weld it for you. http://exhaustpartsuk.com/ this place does bullet silencers which might fit the bill.