WASHING CAN BE BAD FOR TYRES

M13KYF

taken from pistonheads

Safety at risk, says tyre industry body

Not too much pressure...High pressure washers can damage your tyre sidewalls and damage your safety, according to new research by tyre industry.

Hand car wash teams have mushroomed dramatically in the UK in the past few years. Estimates suggest that there are between 5,000 to 10,000 teams offering this service. However, TyreSafe – formerly the Tyre Industry Council, the UK’s leading tyre safety organisation – has issued a warning of a potential safety risk involving the equipment used by these groups that could lead to potential tyre failure.

The organisation said that there's growing evidence that pressure washers used by hand car wash providers can cause tyre damage unknown to most motorists, and that they could be putting their own lives and that of their passengers and other road users at risk.

Heavy-duty pressure washer machines are capable of dispensing water at extremely high pressure and if aimed directly at the tyre, the jet can cause sidewall damage and degradation particularly if the water is heated or if the pressurised water is applied for an extended period.

According to a recent survey by TyreSafe, it was revealed that over 80 per cent of drivers were unaware of the impact that pressure washing can have on their tyres and the danger posed.

German safety group DEKRA has discovered that if a washer nozzle is held close to a tyre at very high pressure, serious damage can occur in as little as five seconds. Even tyres that appear normal after being subjected to a pressure washer may have microscopic perforations, which can weaken the sidewall and cause a possible blow-out.

Other contributory factors to sidewall damage are the width of the water jet and the strength of any soaps or detergents used. Strong soap can remove protective chemicals that are embedded in the sidewall – usually resulting in the visual indication of brown watermarks – which can result in a significant reduction in durability.

For worry-free washing, TyreSafe offered the following tips:

Ideally, a light-to-medium duty pressure washer should be used (110 bar or less)

The washer jet nozzle should be kept at least 20 cm from the tyre surface

Always use a fan nozzle to clean tyres, rather than a circular nozzle

Prevent prolonged exposure to a specific area of the tyre

Avoid aiming the water jet directly at the join between the tyre and the wheel rim

Guest prescience
:scare: Lucky i wouldnt let a pressure washer within 20 meters of my car

me neither............ :wacko:

how do you clean out under the arches etc.. ??

take the wheels off? :)

pressure washers are Ok if used with discretion :thumbs:

absolutely, if you're gonna fire a water jet delivering so many tonnes of pressure per square inch at your tyre from 3 mm away you're asking for trouble

Even then to get in at all the nooks and cranies you need a good pressure wash.. Thats what I do anyway :)

today I'm Mr..."challenge generic statements"

I am not saying this is rubbish, but how many actually spray the tyre directly, and does this really apply to Zeds with good tyres ?

I know I always aim at the alloy when close "jetting".

PLUS...on the Zed, V rating on tyres means they should be assured to very high speed, right?,

this means it is assured to withstand high centrifugal forces, high g, cornering forces, temperatures...etc for the life of the tyre...

I think this advice for cheapo' tyres with a low tyre rating with a wide tyrewall... ok...

but for HP & UHP tyres ...

:dry:

today I'm Mr..."challenge generic statements"

I am not saying this is rubbish, but how many actually spray the tyre directly, and does this really apply to Zeds with good tyres ?

I know I always aim at the alloy when close "jetting".

PLUS...on the Zed, V rating on tyres means they should be assured to very high speed, right?,

this means it is assured to withstand high centrifugal forces, high g, cornering photos, temperatures...etc for the life of the tyre...

I think this advice for cheapo' tyres with a low tyre rating with a wide tyrewall... ok...

but for HP & UHP tyres ...

:dry:

Zed tyres are W rating :scare:

Even then to get in at all the nooks and cranies you need a good pressure wash.. Thats what I do anyway :)

Toothbrush mate, when i do a proper clean i do it all by hand and get right under there.