Stolen Engine

Demolition49

A friend of mine wants to buy an import and has done all the relevant checks on it etc but the engine number is not on the v5... the DVLA said thats not unusual for imports, but my friend of course is naturally weary the cars engine could be stolen, he has the engine number so wants to check if its been stolen, he tryed ringing the police and they said they cant disclose info like that, try and check with the AA for a data check, he has already done an AA data check and it comes back fine, but that only asks for the serial number and date of issue on the v5, the registration number and finally the vin, no sign of engine number anywhere, ive also had a look online and cant find any service that checks engine numbers?!

Weeeellll..... mine's JDM and it's got loads of documentation including export certificates in Japanese, import certificates in English, SVA, as well as clean report on all counts by the mycarcheck service etc..

However my V5 has NOT KNOWN in the engine number line. It's more like the person that first registered it didn't know where to find the id stamp (buried at the back of the block).

I don't believe people would 'steal' an engine and replace it with a different good engine just to hide identity. I personally would tell your mate not to worry.

Weeeellll..... mine's JDM and it's got loads of documentation including export certificates in Japanese, import certificates in English, SVA, as well as clean report on all counts by the mycarcheck service etc..

However my V5 has NOT KNOWN in the engine number line. It's more like the person that first registered it didn't know where to find the id stamp (buried at the back of the block).

I don't believe people would 'steal' an engine and replace it with a different good engine just to hide identity. I personally would tell your mate not to worry.

good to know mate, but im sure he just wants peace of mind! doesn't want anything lurking in the back of his head! Also you can get your engine number put on your v5 buddy, just send a photo to the dvla with a picture of the engine number and write it in the box on your v5 and send it off, thats what they told my mate anyway.

A good time to catch these things is on V5 update on purchase. The form has blanks to fill in.

Alternatively

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054

seems to be the way forward.

DVLA are more interested in what it means for taxation purposes though - as if anyone would change fuel type :doh:

I can empathise with your mate for wanting every last detail document-wise straight and unambiguous though. :thumbs: