Chassis vin number stickers.

L4V15

Asked a friend to check my paint depth with a gauge around the car the otherday and found that one side and the bonnet was alot thicker. Wondering whether it had just been resprayed on one side or whether maybe it had been in a accident and had panels replaced aswel. I did notice that both door windows have the same numbers on them and all of the chassis vin number stickers are in place on each panel but was wondering whether there is anything stopping somebody from just taking them off the old panels and putting them on new ones? Doesnt seem like a very secure method of apply chassic numbers to panels, most manufacturers engrave them or something. Does anybody know whether it is just that simple to do this or should they rip or something? One of them does look slightly rippled. Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks Steve

The theory behind multiple vin tags are as a way of a little deterant.

A thief now has the impossible task of removing every single identification mark without damaging the stolen property to avoid the risk of detection whereas a Police now only needs to locate and identify one or two of the marks to assist with a prosecution. Some of the tags are hidden away in hard to find locations and a location map is held on a data base when checking vehicles which have been recovered and their identity, changed.