Which to use on servicing ??

P15UL T

i am going to be putting the Z into my local mechanic to do its main service (36,000)

mainly cause i know i can trust him to do a top job and also because the stealers want extra for changing brake fluid etc...

anyway, i was looking for some advice on which products to buy as i said i would supply the stuff :headhurt:

is there a reccomended engine oil that is better than the stuff the dealers put in ??

which brake fluid do i use ?

which gearbox oil is best ?

does anyone know the part number for the aircon filter ?

apart from all this and the other stuff that would be covered by the P3 service - is there anything else that could be done at the same time ?

a bit long winded i know but i know you guys will have all the answers

cheers Paul B)

i am going to be putting the Z into my local mechanic to do its main service (36,000)

mainly cause i know i can trust him to do a top job and also because the stealers want extra for changing brake fluid etc...

anyway, i was looking for some advice on which products to buy as i said i would supply the stuff :headhurt:

is there a reccomended engine oil that is better than the stuff the dealers put in ??

which brake fluid do i use ?

which gearbox oil is best ?

does anyone know the part number for the aircon filter ?

apart from all this and the other stuff that would be covered by the P3 service - is there anything else that could be done at the same time ?

a bit long winded i know but i know you guys will have all the answers

cheers Paul B)

This place is good for the oil, brake fluid and gear oil: :thumbs: :

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_l ... motul.aspx

Members here get discounts aswell :)

I swapped for Motul rbf600 for the brake fluid, still need to do the gearbox oil, but careful bout those as some can be too corrosive for our boxes. Amsoil recommended me for my new box (once broke in after 5k miles, which it isn't yet)

"Would not put a fully synthetic oil into your gearbos until you have done about 5 K Miles; reasons are quite simple. Synthetic oils of whatever type are so slipppery that they will not allow the bedding in of the syncro rings.

Once the rings are beded then the advantages are well known. Have qa mineral oil put in and then change it after about 5K As you can imagine I will be only too happy to steer you towards Amsoils MTG at that time. "

I have to warn against using racing brake fluids.

If you get genuine racing brake fluid you have to remember it is usually more hydroscopic than normal brake fluid. Basically it absorbs more water faster therefore it needs changed more frequently.

You can get special silicone brake fluid (like that Automec stuff) that has all the characteristics of performance brake fluid but lasts longer and doesn't absorb moisture. However, the pedal feels slightly different, a bit more spongy when you use it.

Personally, I would use a good quality DOT 4 fluid, any decent brand name stuff. The only difference you will notice on a road car with racing brake fluid is less money in your pocket!

And, as the Minel pointed out, don't use synthetic oil in your box until it has all settled down. 5000 miles being the absolute minimum mileage.

There are loads of fluids and oils that promise improved characteristics but on a road car the difference they make isn't noticable. In some cases things can be worse. Better off using brand name stuff to the Spec. Nissan recommend and using the cash to have stuff done to the car you will notice. Fitting performance brake pads for example will improve your braking far more than using different brake fluid yet doesn't cost much more.

• 2 weeks later...

Best all round brake fluid we have ever found is ATE super blue. Made by one of the largest brake manufacturers in the world, ATE, and good for 3 years! Its very good at resisiting water uptake and I even use it in my race car as I dont really fancy flushing out real race fluid every 2 weeks which costs twice the price. Cheapest place on the net is here http://performanceoilsltd.co.uk/brake_fluid.html

and you can get a club discount. If you can find it cheaper anywere else then get it there and let Performance Oils know! :thumbs: