K& air induction kit

The Accountant

I fitted the Typhoon kit to my 313 HR engined Zed (twin airbox) a couple of weekends ago. It did take me and a mate a fair while (4 hours or so) but as we'd never attempted anything like this before we were ultra cautious.

The kit itself seems very well engineered and fits together precisely and logically if you follow the included blow by blow how-to guide methodically. The guide was only ambiguous on one occassion which prompted a bit of head scratching followed by some guesswork and a leap of faith, but it worked out just fine in the end :)

In fact the only slight problem with manufacturing tolerances came right at the end when fitting the new filters as the diameter of the two items was clearly different. We tried swopping them over in case there was meant to be a discrepancy between the two sides but that wasn't the case, so we ended up using a screw driver to prize the tigher fitting filter on, although this too really wasn't much of a hassle.

Once it was installed to my amazement the car ran just fine from the first turn of the key as it has done ever since. It idles just as it did with the oem kit on and only when you nail the throttle from around 4000 rpm does the extra induction noise come in to play and what a noise it is - lovely :D K&N also state that the kit will give guaranteed extra bhp if installed correctly which equates to an average of just over 8bhp at the wheels (circa 10-12 at the crank).

I would definitely recommend this kit to anyone wishing to gain a deep throaty indcution roar during play time but preferring to keep it more discreet while cruising and around town. Furthermore I'd suggest that anyone who enjoyed playing with Mecano when they were young (or even to this day - you need to get out more :lol: ) will enjoy the challenge of taking large parts of your engine bay to pieces and putting it all back together again. It's a very satisfying experience and I only panicked once at the mid way point when all the parts were out and I wondered if my poor car would ever work again :drive1

Al

You need to create a car in the garage before you try to upload pics.

I can see you haven;t done this yet, as you don't have a "garage" icon on your profile/posts.

As for Induction Kits. They're good for noise, and look blingy in an engine bay. But they wont give you any more power or torque, in fact you would lose a couple of ponies. But it is highly unlikely you would notice the loss tbh.

As for Induction Kits. They're good for noise, and look blingy in an engine bay. But they wont give you any more power or torque, in fact you would lose a couple of ponies. But it is highly unlikely you would notice the loss tbh.

Interesting point Lexx and one that's much debated but for K&Ns part they swear blind their Typhoon kit offers gains in bhp or your money back. Not sure how many people, myself included, can be bothered to dyno the car before and after to prove a point though and frankly I don't much care either way as it's the noise that I'm interested in and the results are undeniably fine in that respect :thumbs:

Ah the age old question, Noise vs Power

The reason I prefer the Pop Charger is it takes about 10 minutes to swap it over so you can have either :p

Even if the K&N did give you 8hp extra then would you really notice it?

I don't know about the K&N as I have never had it fitted but as it is basically a pop charger in a box I am guessing it is similar and therefore you get a slight hesitation when you put your foot down :snack:

Hmmm good point about the ECU intervention, it may well be the case but essentially horsepower debates are best taken up with the folk claiming the gains, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be in K&N's best interests to make these claims without the ability to back them up? I agree that 8bhp either way isn't going to make much difference though, so it's probably a moot point.

I can't say I've noticed any hesitation Dave, in fact quite the contrary (unless I'm imagining it) as the throttle reponse seems to have sharpened somewhat?

Anyway, plus or minus a few ponies and definitely minus a few hours for the installation, it's well worth the effort just for the sound in my opinion :D

You need to create a car in the garage before you try to upload pics.

I can see you haven;t done this yet, as you don't have a "garage" icon on your profile/posts..

I thought I did create the car, entered all the required fields, and the car is showing as created only the picture doesn't upload. Do I need to do something else first?