Fuel Additives to clean engine/ improve MPG

nij1983

Hi all,

Just wondering if fuel additives are actually worthwhile using every now and again to clean the engine and help to improve on MPG?

Has anyone/ does anyone use these and how have they faired?

And no, i'm not highly concerned about mpg, but as Tesco's says, every little helps :teeth:

Cheers

I would stick to using super unleaded or a 97/98 ron as they already have additives and cleaning agents in them. :thumbs:

Shouldnt be using anything less anyway :surrender:

I had this kind of treatment done on my old 350z for free at the dealer and can say it made sod all difference to how the car ran and MPG. Personally I'd leave it alone unless you have a reason to use it.

I always use Super unleaded. Only used unleaded when the car was really low on fuel and the petrol station didn't do Super!

Thanks for the comments. I figured fuels have come a long way since several years back and can't see why they wouldn't have their own engine cleaning additives (e.g. v-power).

I used some redline stuff about a year ago. Was about £6 said it had the highest temptetire detergents. Did it make any difference? Not that I could tell. But for £6 it felt like I had treated my car and felt like slight peace of mind. So can't complain.

I always use Super unleaded. Only used unleaded when the car was really low on fuel and the petrol station didn't do Super!

Thanks for the comments. I figured fuels have come a long way since several years back and can't see why they wouldn't have their own engine cleaning additives (e.g. v-power).

BG44K is what i use in my Jag,

worked to good effect, and helped clean up my injectors which were stuttering at the time.

sounds like some good stuff. Where did you get it from?

ebay was my friend on this one.

i tried something like STP or Redex before but it didn't do much. got reccomended the BG44k and i saw an improvemnt within 2 tanks of fuel. best to use it in a full tank, run it down to half empty and then fill tank back up, then run tank to empty and fill to top again. its alot stronger than anything else on the market.

BG do a load of other stuff, not tied anything else but they do octane boosters as well; check out their website, i think you can order from there as well.

my engine is 11 years old and had some miles on it. if you notice it on the zed i'm unsure. but the V8 certainly liked it. will probably run another can through again next year.

BG44K is what i use in my Jag,

worked to good effect, and helped clean up my injectors which were stuttering at the time.

sounds like some good stuff. Where did you get it from?

ebay was my friend on this one.

i tried something like STP or Redex before but it didn't do much. got reccomended the BG44k and i saw an improvemnt within 2 tanks of fuel. best to use it in a full tank, run it down to half empty and then fill tank back up, then run tank to empty and fill to top again. its alot stronger than anything else on the market.

BG do a load of other stuff, not tied anything else but they do octane boosters as well; check out their website, i think you can order from there as well.

my engine is 11 years old and had some miles on it. if you notice it on the zed i'm unsure. but the V8 certainly liked it. will probably run another can through again next year.

How many treatments does one can give you?