Headlight not working and its not my bulb???

Rob2005

Noticed yesterday that my front passenger side headlight was not working.

Ordered a new bulb... fitted.... still not working?? :angry:

All fuses checked, i have also checked and there is a live going to the small black box that fits to the back of the bulb.

However there is no live coming out of the box (not sure what this box is).

My car is a jap spec 53 model with xenons.

Any help appreciated as to what this could be.

I alway get these mixed up, but I think Xenon also means gas Discharge lamps, right?. I say this because the Gas Discharge Lamps work by generating a very high voltage to start the bulb off... There is no filament as normal bulbs I think just two terminals and a gas in between them(xenon?), so you need high voltage to "arc" between the two terminals.

The black box you refer to, I think is the ballast box. This is in charge of accumulating high voltage (something silly like 20000volts ...) and then using this voltage to arc between the terminals. Once it achieve this the voltage to maintain the arc is relatively low... and it is this arc, and the xenon gas which causes the illumination to occur...

If the ballast unit is not working properly... it means it is not generating enough voltage to arc the bulb and get it working...

That could be the fault on your lamp... not cheap, me thinks... :headhurt:

CAPTAIN SENSIBLE HERE AGAIN

Safely Working with Gas Discharge Lamps and Fixtures

Fixtures for gas discharge lamps may use up to 30,000 V while starting depending on technology. Thus, the only safe way to work with these is to assume that they are potentially lethal and treat them with respect.

Hazards include:

Electric shock. There is usually little need to probe a live fixture. Most problems can be identified by inspection or with an ohmmeter or continuity tester when unplugged.

Discharge lamps and fixtures using iron ballasts are basically pretty inert when unplugged. Even if there are small capacitors inside the ballast(s) or for RFI prevention, these are not likely to bite. However, you do have to remember to unplug them before touching anything! - just make sure they are off and battery unplugged unplugged before touching anything!

Those using electronic ballasts can have some nasty charged capacitors so avoid going inside the ballast module and it won't hurt to check between its outputs with a voltmeter before touching anything. Troubleshooting the electronic ballast module is similar to that of a switchmode power supply.

The pulse starters of some high intensity discharge lamps may produce up to 30 kV during the starting process. Obviously, contact with this voltage should be avoided keeping in mind that 30 kV can jump over an inch to anyplace it wants!

CAREFUL WHERE YOU STICK YOUR FINGERS.....

they are higher voltage to start (around 20000 volts) , i.e. to generate the voltage arc to go between the two terminals. Once the arc is generated between the two terminals, and reacting with the Xenon gas inside the bulb it generates the light , it is just a matter of maintaining some voltage to keep the arc going... so it reverts back to normal 12v running voltages...

Hmmm, how you checking this? If it takes that high a voltage to arc it, if it's trying to arc when you have a meter on it it may well go pop. I have a good fluke meter (87 ver III) and it's only rated to 1000V. If you can get a voltage divider it'd be an idea before making any checks on the circuit.

Well the readings im getting are very strange but they are the same both sides.

I get no reading from either black box but there are 3 wires going to it and they are the same both sides but again they are very strange readings.

Im so confused :blush: really think its this black box as my headlight was full of condensation and it would have been exposed.

I'm not an auto electrician. Or a real electrician! If the readings are the same and one works and one doesn't then I'm not convinced it would be that. Maybe a bad wire. If you can pull wires then you could check

I,ve been doing a bit more digging around, the Xenon lamps will require a ballast to generate the peak voltage and then within the unit there must be a converter from DC to AC, as these lamps require AC.

this could explain the weird results and why you are getting similar readings, but since I have no idea about electrics... and you guys have things that measure eletricts, and stuff I'll let you read interesting anorak websited about this stuff...it might help a bit more to clarify the concern...enjoy :wacko:

http://members.misty.com/don/dschlamp.html

http://members.misty.com/don/d2.html

Problem solved. :teeth:

Was infact the box from underneath the headlight that had got soaked as a result of me not re-fitting my front plastic covers in the wheel arch when fitting the Veisldie kit. :headhurt:

Im a D**K lol

Thanks for all your help along the way and to Charlie for the headlight.

Problem solved. :teeth:

Was infact the box from underneath the headlight that had got soaked as a result of me not re-fitting my front plastic covers in the wheel arch when fitting the Veisldie kit. :headhurt:

Im a D**K lol

Thanks for all your help along the way and to Charlie for the headlight.

doh..!!