lockwood&greenwood

dragon

Popped down to these guys today to get the lowdown on services etc, spoke to dave, what a nice guy, really helpful and i can take my own parts if i want, there's not many garages that will let you do that, read about them on the forum nothing but good things, my details now logged onto their system, and i'm good to go when i'm ready, they are in north manchester in ashton-under-lyme.

• 5 weeks later...

P1 - £112

MOT - £35

Took my own oil and filter which cost £64. They offered to wash and vacuum the car which is nice but like most zed owners I declined, too picky :lol: Will definitely be taking the car next year, think they said P2 was £195 and P3 £225.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed to see all these positive reviews for these guys! I had my Z in with them in June and they didn't impress me at all! Was slightly hesitant to post this given all the positive feedback but for the sake of balance here goes...

Issues:

1. Replaced brake fluid but didn't bleed brakes properly leaving me with a dangerous car with a brake pedal that went to the floor and was incapable of doing an emergency stop. They knew it wasn't right but instead of telling me they needed the car longer to try and sort it they tried to give it me back saying that it was just due to the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid and it would sort itself out in a few days! Suffice to say I told them to take it back and do it properly, which to their credit they did, they are about 90% right now. Not happy with the incompetence or initial attempt to pull a fast one! :rant:

2. Told me the diff oil I'd supplied was incorrect and tried to sell me theirs. Double checked with ZMANALEX, my oil was correct, theirs wasn't. Makes me wonder what the hell they are putting in members cars who don't supply their own fluid! :scare:

3. Asked them to replace my wing mirror glass as mine was cracked and the heating element had stopped working. They replaced the glass but the heating element still didn't work. When I investigated a couple of months later I found they hadn't connected the two power connections to the back of the glass. :dry:

4. They were supposed to fit 4 new exhaust gaskets for me but only fitted two. I had to get them to fit the additional gaskets when the car went back in to have the brakes fixed.

So overall not an experience I intend to repeat! Still, at least they were prepared to correct most of their mistakes which is something I suppose.

They aren't alone though, I've yet to find a garage I've been 100% happy with and I've had the Z 3 years in Jan! :( Going to try WGT Auto Developments next week as they did some good work on my MX-5 in the past so fingers crossed they'll do a decent job with the Z too! :surrender:

Hi MattG.

Really sorry to hear of your poor service at L&G but thanks for posting up as it will make me supply my own diff/gear oil when I come to letting them replace it.

Just goes to show that a place's rep is so dependant on consciencious mechanics working there.

I know there are a few mechanics working there so I hope I'm not unlucky and get the same careless one when I go.

Everyone can make mistakes but it seems you got landed with a wave of blunders.

Let's just hope at best, guy responsible no longer works there......or at least got an earful for his laziness and has pulled his socks up.

ps I feel a bit bad coz when I went to TRILOGY on your recommendation I was extremely happy with his service re ICE fitting and I was one of the many who have recommended L&G.

Hi MattG.

Really sorry to hear of your poor service at L&G but thanks for posting up as it will make me supply my own diff/gear oil when I come to letting them replace it.

Just goes to show that a place's rep is so dependant on consciencious mechanics working there.

I know there are a few mechanics working there so I hope I'm not unlucky and get the same careless one when I go.

Everyone can make mistakes but it seems you got landed with a wave of blunders.

Let's just hope at best, guy responsible no longer works there......or at least got an earful for his laziness and has pulled his socks up.

ps I feel a bit bad coz when I went to TRILOGY on your recommendation I was extremely happy with his service re ICE fitting and I was one of the many who have recommended L&G.

No problem mate, you can only go off your own experience. :thumbs: If L&G have done the business for you in the past then why wouldn't you recommend them?

Regarding the diff oil, I would definitely recommend you take your own. The issue arose because the bottle for the Nissan oil for our VLSDs use says on it "Not to be used when a Nissan genuine LSD fluid is required", i.e. if you have a Nissan 4x4 which needs proper LSD oil. L&G were not aware of this, presumably they have never seen a bottle of the genuine Nissan oil for our VLSDs?! :scare: The weird thing is, they wanted about £6 per litre for their LSD oil and the proper Nissan 4x4 stuff is around £120 for 5 litres so I have no idea what they are using. Whatever it is, they confirmed to me that they have used it in other 350Z owners cars so if anyone has had their diff oil changed by L&G they probably need to find what out they have used.

Glad you got on well with Tim, he's a top bloke and has never let me down and he's done a LOT of work for me, my family and friends over the years. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

hey also do Dent Repair now. Only on Fridays. Just had mine in for a MOT and got them to sort out 3 dents while it was there. Call them for a quote

Were the 3 dents "parking ding" type dents and would you say the repair was invisable on completion?

My friend's brother in law does this service, massaging the dings out from behind the panel with an assortment of long ball ended rods.

Quite an art to it.

He payed some "MR MIYAGI" type guy to train him up until he had attained "zen" in said art :lol:

Since he split with my friends sister he is no longer an option for ding repairs so it's nice to know there is a local service should i need it.