strut / Bonnet woes..

waltzinblack

Hey guys, asking for a few pointers about my bonnet. I've only noticed this problem AFTER installation of the plenum spacer, and I'm pretty sure it's all related somehow. There are a few problems but I think that adjusting one thing might solve them all.

Here are a list of my problems, any solutions to which would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for pics they are iphone quality and some of the stuff is hard to see if you're not looking at it in real life.

First of all, the strut bar is fouling the bonnet as below, on the intake side:

IMG_0114.jpg

Now, this only happened after the plenum spacer, I can't really afford to just shorten/lower the strut, because with the plenum spacer it is already close to the top of the plenum (to be honest it could actually do with a bit MORE space from the plenum to be honest!)

IMG_0115.jpg

I don't know how I can adjust the strut to solve this problem! I really don't want to lose the strut! It's a 5/16 plenum spacer which I was told you are able to keep the strut with. I have only tried adjusting the strut via the 3 nuts on the driver's side, I have not been unbolting it from the wings to adjust it.

Now I THINK that this rubbing problem might also be manifesting itself in the bonnet being higher on one side than the other. You have to look at the pics carefully to see.

Below you can see the bonnet has a large gap not only from the bumper but also from the headlight:

IMG_0116.jpg

Here is a close up of that side:

IMG_0121-1.jpg

Compared with the near side:

IMG_0120-1.jpg

The bonnet also rocks from side to side a lot if you lean on either side, closing the big gap on the offside. This also supports the view that the strut is pushing it up from the middle, and because the bonnet is a bit flexible, you can rock it flush with pressure. The bonnet also seems mounted slightly incorrectly on the offside:

IMG_0117-1.jpg

As a final point, I have a metallic vibration sound that ONLY happens at 2k rpm when the engine is cold. I'm not sure if this is just the resonant frequency of the strut bar, and so I can hear it vibrating on the inside of the bonnet. It definitely sounds like two bits of metal vibrating, but it's weird that it ONLY happens when cold and only at 2k rpm. There is also a sort of clunky, knock sound from the front of the car when going over bumps. I don't think it's suspension related, because the knocks aren't exactly consistent with bumps in the road, more like something is swaying as a result of the bumps and making the noise as it settles. It's VERY, VERY quiet, and I can only hear it with aircon and radio off, driving at idle speed in 1st or 2nd. I THINK it might be the excess play in the bonnet wobbling and bumping around, but I am not sure.

ANY help appreciated! And thank you ever so much for taking the time to read and understand this long post! As you may have noticed, it is an 04 car with facelift headlights, I don't think they are causing the bonnet issue, but if they are easily reseated then I might try that too.

I have only tried adjusting the strut via the 3 nuts on the driver's side, I have not been unbolting it from the wings to adjust it.

This may be a silly question but did you remove the strut brace when instaling the plenum space? I say this because the three adjustment bolts are on the passenger side of my 04 Z. Have you put the strut brace on the wrong way round?

Thanks for the reply buddy, yes strut was removed when spacer installed. But after that it was touching the plenum and making big vibrations in the cabin, so I just adjusted the three bolts to bow it up and away from the plenum, which solved THAT problem.

A quick google of 350z engine bay and every pic I've seen shows the adjustment bolts on driver's side? Apart from Some HR engines with it on the other side, although I'm not sure if they were non-UK models or something as the battery was on a different side too.

But thanks for the reply dude, much appreciated :)

They are indeed still there and stuck on well... There are no marks on the inside of the bonnet anywhere, and the rubber doesnt seem to have marked, but you can definitely see those three scratches! Well either scratches or ingrained rubber, but either way it's being pressed against the bonnet pretty hard I would say.