changing car colour

bboyzeez

quick question (noob) but i am considering have a full car respray from gun metal grey to maybe white or red , would my insurance change at all or wouldnt they care about the colour?

i ask on here because my car is on a business fleet insurance and the least i bother them the better as im 22 and paying only £1200 for my insurance lol i dont want to wack the price up nor buy a white or red car as mine is a import spec and pain to try to sell

Ring them and ask them?

But no, they won't care as they don't ask you what colour the car is anyway. Interestingly though whilst a respray wouldn't be considered a modification, would a wrap? Strictly speaking I'd say it would.

As far as I'm aware if you respray a different colour you have to inform the DVLA and, therefore, you would have to inform your insurance company. A wrap doesn't need to be notified to the DVLA but you would still need to tell your insurer as it has to count as a modification?

If the V5 was different to the details the insurer has on their system they would probably be none too amused.

See I'm not so sure about that, as they don't ask you what colour your car is when you take out your policy. Whether or not their info that they get from the DVLA is right or not is an issue between insurer and DVLA, and we all know just how crap the DVLA can be at times.

The V5 can say that your Zed has 4 doors and is a diesel if it wants, as long as you insure it as a 2 door petrol then you're covered.

right ok cus im torn between either repainting and adding body kit or keeping same colour but like black vinyl roof throw a carbon bonnet on and maybe carbon lips and spoiler but i guess either way it counts as a body kit and then it depends if they are bothered bout the colour :) guess i will just get the money together then make one phone call and ask it al together save keep ringing them up :)

didnt think a vinyl would count as a modification thats well weird vinyl is basically a big sticker right so putting little stickers on would also count as a modification??

Correct. Anything that alters the car from how it came out of the factory is a modification and you need to tell your insurer. Will they care? Nah, but at least you've told them and there's no come back from you. Tbh I wouldn't tell them about the odd little sticker here or there, or even big ones a la Le Mans style, but I would tell them about an entire wrap.

I got my car wrapped, told the insurance company and the price didnt change, although it did come up as a modification. I didn't have to tell the DVLA about the colour change as it was not permanent. I would have had to inform the DVLA if it was a respray and it is a permanent change! Hope this helps :thumbs: