Winter Driving - Could Autosock be a good idea???

Zzzz...

Hello and first of all let me wish y'all a prosperous and merry 2007...

Maybe I'm been captain sensible again, but I just wanted to let you guys know about some "upgrade" I bought for my z, which I hope I will never have to use :dry: . But it seems such a good idea, simple and cost effective, that I had to have one just for the extra piece of mind it provides, specially as the z will be my transport all this winter... :headhurt:

I see there are some Europe Mainland Drivers (Switzerland /Italy...) and maybe they have seen these in action and can comment on them more than me.

(As I said, I never used them and I think for the 3-5 days of serious snow we get in UK I think they will be able to get me out of a sticky situation nicely...) :yahoo:

I bought the same for my missus car. (each set cost me around 90 Euros in Spain...)

I know it will not solve 90% of driving in UK winter... (small icy patches etc...but for those severe weather days... or if you get trapped miles away from home... it might become the best 90 EUROS spent

Have a look and let me know your opinions... specially guys who have been driving in snow, winter conditions...

www.autosock.com

(blurb from the website...)

The AutoSock is a newly developed tyre cover, aimed at increasing tire-to-road friction when driving cars on icy or snowy roads:

Perfect temporary winter aid for vehicles..

Easy to mount and dismount even in cold and difficult weather.

Comfortable while driving – maximum speed 50 km/h.

Does not cause noise or vibrations.

Light weight and easy to store.

Self-centering.

Reusable and machine washable.

Environmental and recyclable.

No damage to alloy wheels.

Approved by TÃœV and GS.

Fits almost all passenger cars.

Approved by leading car manufactures.

Works on all vehicles with low clearance between the tyre and the body, as well as with all electronic safety systems (ESP, ABS).

I might fit them this week to see how they look ... I am sure style was never a consideration for these things though....

PICS TO COME SOON...

I though like you but see the following text from the website

"Q3 What sort of conditions can I use them in?

A3 They'll improve traction on any snow or ice - even in soft, deep snow, or in wet snow. It's recommended that you take them off when you get back to tarmac, although the reality is that they probably will be driven on tarmac during those intermittent tarmac / snow / tarmac / snow conditions experienced before leaving the snow for good. (The TÃœV test included 50 kilometres at 50 kph on dry tarmac. AutoSock passed this "Misuse test", but of course tarmac driving is not recommended as it increases fabric wear very considerably.)

since when is English freaking weather predictable ... think of it the other way... how long have we managed to get away with with any bad weather? ...

It will be sod's law that now that I am taking care of this "eventuality" nothing will happen... but i rather it this way, and be prepared "just in case"

;)

since when is English freaking weather predictable ... think of it the other way... how long have we managed to get away with with any bad weather? ...

It will be sod's law that now that I am taking care of this "eventuality" nothing will happen... but i rather it this way, and be prepared "just in case"

;)

if it's that bad I wouldnt go out in a Zed ;)

;)

if it's that bad I wouldnt go out in a Zed ;)

Agree with this I would a) throw a sicky :wheelchair: or B) tax my old Renault Laguna that I usually only use during the summer for towing.

3 years ago approximately we had a nice snow fall while I was at work and took me 5 hours to cross milton keyns and 2hours more to get to Banbury that night... (normally it is a 30-45 minute drive) And I saw a load of RR wheel drive cars struggling and sliding and using kerbs to slow them down on hills etc...

I would have paid twice the money for these things if they'd been available and got me home that night.

It might be a one off and it might never happen, but if it does I hope they do "what it says on the tin", and get me home....

Anyway I think we are digressing from the main reason of this post...I was trying to find out if anyone had experience of using them...rather than justifying the reasons for my purchase ;)

I have a set. I've never used them (yet!). I keep them in the boot for those days when I'm out working and we suddenly have an un-forecast deterioration in the weather (I'd like to get home).

Cheers

Fair point. Or just call the AA??