Help.... Crunching Gears

wes.brook

Hoping for some advice on this ;)

When upshifting from 4th to 6th at around 4k RPM, the gear change "crunches". If I let the revs drop, it does not happen. Keep the revs around 4k though, and it makes this awful noise, every time.

I have not noticed it when shifting between any other gears.

Phoned Nissan today but no-one in service until Tuesday :thumbdown:

Anyone know what this might be?

Yep, I had this, it's the syncro between 4th and 6th. There's a bulletin out for it, and depending on what Nissan GB have more available stocks of, it's replacement components (my fix) or new 'box (the Minel's fix IIRC).

Have to say they did it well and it's now the best change in the box! :)

Had same issue back in June 05, they changed the synchro's.

Then it started again aug/sept 06, they changed synchro again in Nov.

Now when cold and not started for a couple of day, i.e., oil fails off, then does it with 5th. So back to the garage in the new year.

Try for a new box if you can.

Steve

Mathys,

Not just at certain rev's. If you leave a load on whilst changing, then you get it straight away. What I mean is if you let the engine slow right down then it seems to okay, but if you leave your foot slight on the accelerator then it crunches. Mostly happens when joining motorways where you get up to 70ish in 4th then change to 6th since the traffic does not permit higher speed, hence staying at 70 and missing 5th out.

Just take it too the dealer, take out the tech and show him, then they will do the work. Problem is NMGB may go cheap option which is change only the gears needed rather than complete box. Try to get a box if you can but does not always work out that way.

Steve

Steve-b, did you only have the problem changing from 4th to 6th around 4k rpm?

Let me know as I'll test my Z shortly as the warranty runs out in April.

So, I'm Z-less again :yuck:

They are keeping her for what they think will be a week or so to fix the problem. When I called for an update the Tech was speaking to Nissan Technical about it. New box? Dunno yet.

1.2l Micra "Actives" are a danager to public roads :p More body roll than Bubbles Devere and a very surprising tendancy to over-steer. That said it's a better courtesy car than both the Punto and Yaris which I've also enjoyed in the past 12 months.

Still, they managed to fix my road noise problem with the driver's window dropping a few mm intermittantly (which is (was) annyoing) :thumbs:

Picked her back up today. All is well!

:teeth: I was beaming when I caught sight of her gleaming in the car park. It's like Christmas again B)

The guys at Harratts Nissan Wakefield have done a great job (again). I want to go for drive now but I'm chained to my desk! :p