Zed deposit taken - now what car??!

relentless

Car gets picked up tomorrow afternoon :( I really am completely gutted!

Im half tempted to say i've changed my mind and keeping it....

Shouldnt i be allowed some fun...im not gonna be saving that much money by getting a diesel! Why does the girlfriend live so far away damn it!

Quick someone talk sense to me...can i really live with an A3 or Golf diesel after the Zed....maybe ill have to get an S-line just to try to ease the blow a little.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car gets picked up tomorrow afternoon :( I really am completely gutted!

Im half tempted to say i've changed my mind and keeping it....

Shouldnt i be allowed some fun...im not gonna be saving that much money by getting a diesel! Why does the girlfriend live so far away damn it!

Quick someone talk sense to me...can i really live with an A3 or Golf diesel after the Zed....maybe ill have to get an S-line just to try to ease the blow a little.

Feel for you mate. i drove a friends bora tdi pd150 (golf saloon) the other day and it fealt horrible after the Zed.

Just remember S-line is trim, not performance. it just makes poncy audi buyers think they have a sports car.

I mentioned before, but noone else has elaberated on it. if you want a fun hatchback, go take a renault with cup chassis for a drive. you cant go any faster round a corner in a similar aged car for less.

also with their real world speed coming from the handling, not a massive engine (like audi etc) you keep your momentum and save fuel :thumbs: ....chicken dinner!

thanks for all the input fellas.....(as well as the entertainment!)

I had quick a look at a Series 1 yesterday, about 50k, FSH, dealer - £7600 but i just could not warm to the cabin at all. The past A3's and Golfs ive been in ive always liked them inside - with the 1er it just didnt feel right to me. Didnt take it out though, just a flying visit.

The sound of a diesel it gonna be HARD to get used to!!

I do really like the A3 S-lines. But seems really hard to find a low miler at a reasonable price?

Theres a 1.9 TDI Golf up the road from me, 50k FVWH, looks very tidy, but its only a 1.9, the lack of grunt worries me. I was thinking at least a 2L TDI as the 0-60 is under 10s. I know the 120D is fastest of the lot though at under 8 seconds.

Im now wondering if a lower priced petrol is the way to go, with the extra you pay for the diesel its so easy to get a newer petrol for getting on for £2k less.

I assume its the mk5 golf you saw? From memory the 1.9 is 100bhp and the 2.0 is either 140 or 170bhp depending on model. I wouldnt worry about the golf not being pokey. If its the PD engine which I think it is, the mk4 golfs had the same engine, but came as a 115bhp, a 130bhp and a 150bhp model. The 115bhp one which I used to have did 0-60 in about 8seconds out of the box and could be remapped to 160bhp easily.

The golfs are all about in gear power, esp if you have a 6speed one. Of course, compared to a 300bhp zed its just not going to have the same feel.

Noise wise, I found my PD golf very quiet. When cruising I could hear no difference between it and petrol cars. The only time I knew it was a diesel was when idling, when it was slightly louder than petrols, but a lot quieter than other diesels, like peugeot or renault for example.

Diesel vs Petrol really depends on the sort of mileage you are doing. Diesel costs a bit more, but you get more mpg. Last time I worked it out, 15k per year was the sort of mileage where any more made sense to get a diesel.