First track Day - RAF Cottesmore - Update + Pics

wackosr

:D

Looking to book up my first ever track day for 11th Sep at RAF Cottesmore.

Full day open pit!

Can anyone give me any standard advice re-track days or any info specific to Cottesmore please?

:drive1

I'm a complete noob, so be good to more of an idea of what to expect!!

Also, other than checking all fluids, brakes, tyres etc, is there anything else I should consider doing?

Cheers

A couple of specific things to the fact that its an airfield -

They tend to be a lot more abrasive, so you will get loads of grip, so don't think you can corner just as fast when you get back on normal roads.

If you plan on driving home on your tyres afterwards, I would suggest putting a few more psi than normal in them to even the wear out across the tyre or you may find the inside/outside edges will be gone before you know it.

If you decide to play around a bit and get the tail out, again keep an eye out on your tyre wear for the above reason.

For some reason airfields seem to be particularly bad for lots of tiny little stones/grit that will pepper the front of your car, so don't be tempted to slipstream the car in front, unless your fancy a front end re-spray. If you keep your distance you'l be fine.

Due to the nature of an airfield being very open with wide runways and taxiways, its very hard to get an idea of speed and braking points (especially at the end of the runway) so bare that in mind.

Keep an eye on your fluids, but don't over fill them as they will get very hot (brakes and power steering) and end up spilling out all over your engine bay.

If you can, change your brake fluid before you go to something like Motul RBF600. There is nothing worse than getting to the end of the runway and wanting to slow down from 150+ mph and your brake peddle feels like jelly!

And most importantly, ENJOY it!!! :drive1 There is no safer place to push your car to the limit, so you might as well find your limits there when all you can do is slide off onto the grass. :teeth:

Many thanks for the info Sam, most appreciated.

(Ment to reply the other day, but having internet issues)

I hear what you are saying about the surface and the fact it is likely to have more grip, most runways and taxing ways are usually corse cement.

not sure if there are any tarmac sections, if there is a mic, will give me something else to think about!

I hadn't thought of upping the psi, sounds like a good idea for sure, don't want to be wearing the edges off, but I'm am taking in to count that new rears will need to be on the cards very soon as they aren't the newest.

Not sure I'm brave or skill full enough to be getting tail happy, but there are seven hours in which to drive, so you never know as the day goes on and I get a feel for things, hopefully not being too over confident!

I believe they take you round for a to show you where the braking zones are and I think they mark the apex with cones, fingers crossed.

Probably do 20 minutes stints and then give the Zed time to breath before going out again, it's a 3 mile course, so a few long straights to give the brakes a small chance to cool off!

Had a quick look at the other entrants, 911, 944, Caterhams etc, so I may not be close behind anyone for long, hopefully there track is wide enough so I can sit to one side and preserve my paint a little!

I will do my best to enjoy it, :drive1 thats for certain and the large run off means i don't have to worry quite so much if it goes a little wrong, will be taking it easy if another car is close.

I'll have to try and get some pics to post up.

Thanks again.

:teeth:

No probs.

You'll love it! I used to do them every year at RAF Marham when I was based there. I didn't have the 350 then but done the first couple in my 300zx then 3 or 4 in my Supra TT6. They really are great days.

Sound like you'll be doing the right things, letting it cool down, building up your confidence etc....

Since your rears are nearly done, it would be rude not try a bit of sideways action, ;) there really isn't a safer place to try these things.

Cool, I can see it may become slightly adictive!

Same it cost so much!!

I'm sure after this weekend I'll be saving up my pennies for brake improvements, handling improvements and entry fees!!

Yes, going to start off slowly, don't want to soil my pants on the first lap and drive like Miss Daisy for the rest of the day!!

:lol::lol: Yes, you may have twisted my arms little, if the track is quieter later in the day, I may well give it a try.

As you say, it's the safer place and it's legal! If I end up facing the wrong way, so be it!!

As long as I keep enough tread to get me home legally I can drive the shed until I get some new rubber.

:drive1:teeth: Getting excited!!

Not sure how quickly the traction control kicks in to tame any oversteer? if the rears are on the way out and it gets quieter towards the end of the day then you'll definitely have a chance to see what happens out of some of the tighter corners. You never know, you may see the need to go on a drift day - the Santa Pod Run what ya brung days are not too far away and they're cheaper on both entry fees and fuel.

One thing to note tho, if you do kill the rears, be aware if you're driving home on illegal tyres, as the fines no laughing matter.

You'll probably see a lot of entrants changing wheels when they start, and a lot of cars turning up on trailers!

Take it easy first time round - you'll do a few sighting laps as you say, and then just build the speed up during the day - you've got all day, at the start the track will be quite busy so take it easy and watch your mirrors, but after lunch you'll be able to get in some good hot laps.

Have fun!

Don't put your handbrake on after you come back into the pits after a session, you'll bind your brakes together. Leave the engine running and gear in neutral for a few mins to let it cool down, then kill the engine and pop the car into first. :)

Turn the TCS off and push until you spin. There is no better place to find out how both you and the car react when you go past the limit, and it may just save your life one day.

Okay, no hand brake use, that makes sence.

As does keeping the engine running.

Thanks for that, woudl be a little embaracing getting the hand brake stuck on!!

:thumbs: That's a very good point, thanks. Knowing what it feels like and what to do could quite easily make all the difference. 'I choose life!' So TCS off after a couple of laps it is, time to become one with the car! Not that I'm gonig to push that hard on the road, but you never know what might happen.

Thanks again. :thumbs:

Right, firstly another quick thank you for all the pre track day advice, most appreciated and did come in handy. :thumbs:

So today was the day for my first track day, my buddy and I got there early, signed on, attended the safety briefing and went out on the sighting laps to see where the 3.5m track went! Fluids checked, pads changed, tyre pressures upped a few psi etc. Even a spot of elec tape on the lights for good effect!! :)

Then it was back into the paddock, lots of people doing last minute tinkering and set up adjustments. I was beginning to wonder, where and when the noise tests were carried out, 1m away form the exhaust at 45 degrees, 102bd limit. :surrender: As I was conceded it may be close, but nothing was said, so we headed in to the line waiting to be let out to play!! :yahoo:

Neves were a little high an adrenaline was a little higher!! We were signalled out and away we went. I took it easy at first, especially as my buddy had been drink the sighting laps to get a feel for my Zed. It did look easier as a passenger! Still the first three laps went without hitch, plenty of tyre squeal and even got 125mph on the back straight!

We took it in turns to do 3 laps each, the gave the car a 20 min cooling down period and time for our heart rates to drop!!

As the morning progressed we got away for trying to carry too much speed in to the corners and concentrated on lines, breaking point etc, all this helped and the laps seemed to be quicker and control was definitely better.

But as confidence grew on corner, a long sweeping right before a small/fast chicane gave me a small scare and some wresting with the steering wheel kept as pretty straight after the back end let go and we had a good bit of fish tailing action!! :drive1 Took a few laps to find the optimum speed after this!!

Didn't venture into turning off the TCS, maybe next time. It did flash away a few times when getting on the power a little early out of corners.

All in all the day went well, a few passing moves and not too many overtaking us. But there was a good range of vehicles, Evo FQ 320's, Scooby's, Caterham's and similar, MX5's, MR'2 and a mini with a motor bike engine in, that blew up just before lunch!

Down sides to the day!

Well, a pretty expected one, but the tryres took a good pounding and will need replacing very soon, but to be fair the rears weren't far off!

But the worst in the stone chips, early on the were so may stones, the bumper, front of the bonnet, and windscreen have taken a peppering and will news some serious TLC very soon to rectify. :thumbdown:

I'd say to anyone considering a day her to get the front end covered in a clear vinyl so something similar, not much you can do for the screen I guess.

We did our best to stay wide of other vehicles especially in the straights and keep our distance, but this wasn't quite enough.

All in all a very enjoyable day and will definitely be looking to do another in the future.

Also saw a new 370Z flying round!! :D