Noise Levels

wackosr

Just wondering if any one can help?!

Looking in to track days at the moment, but there is a 105db noise limit.

I'm running a K1 exhaust with bungs in.

Any ideas as to whether I'll be under this limit?

If not, where can I get a cheep meter from?

Cheers

Jacko

With the bungs in you should be well under the 105dB mark, I was every time when I tracked mine. With them out you'll be very close and I wouldn't risk it.

The only other thing is the drive-by (if they have a limit for that) as the K1 is noisy for that regardless of bungs, but the worst places are Bedford and Goodwood and you probably wouldn't pass the static for either place anyway. Where were you thinking of going?

Hi, thanks for that. :thumbs:

TBH, I think I'd need ear plugs if I was driving it without the bungs!

Tried it for about a mile or out of curiosity and stopped to put them back in!

Looking to go to an open pit lane session @ RAF Cottesmore.

Hopefully not too challenging for my first go and has plenty of run off space!

You'll be fine there, I've never been myself but I can't imagine any of the RAF bases being particularly fussy over stuff like that: Certainly Woodbridge were fine when I did a day there, and even asked me if I wanted to take the bungs out for extra power! :lol:

I've done quite a few trackdays with my K1 mate.

My set up is:

Standard Cats

Japspeed Y pipe

K1 exhaust.

Based upon static tests at Cadwell, Oulton and Mallory

With the bungs in at 3/4 revs I get 93.5 - 94.0 Db (Based on 4 trackdays)

With the bungs out at 3/4 revs I got 103.7 Db (Based on 1 trackday)

After the one day at Oulton I always leave the bungs in, my ears were bleeding far too much and I had a beast of a headache!

You will have aboslutely no issues with a bunged K1 unless you have HFC's or de-cats at which point I can't help regarding noise level conformance.

You wouldnt hear the exhaust much through a helmet anyways!

Very Jealous of you going to Cottesmore - I've been trying to find a mate for some time to share entry and fuel costs with, but to no avail! if you want someone to share entry and fuel costs with let me know lol

Good point, helmet will help.

Are you local to the track?

I've done quite a few trackdays with my K1 mate.

My set up is:

Standard Cats

Japspeed Y pipe

K1 exhaust.

Based upon static tests at Cadwell, Oulton and Mallory

With the bungs in at 3/4 revs I get 93.5 - 94.0 Db (Based on 4 trackdays)

With the bungs out at 3/4 revs I got 103.7 Db (Based on 1 trackday)

After the one day at Oulton I always leave the bungs in, my ears were bleeding far too much and I had a beast of a headache!

You will have aboslutely no issues with a bunged K1 unless you have HFC's or de-cats at which point I can't help regarding noise level conformance.

Thanks SteveW, that's good news and sounds promising! :thumbs:

I have standard y pipe and cars.

RTBuscuits airbox mod and a K&N filter.

So should be similar to yours!!

Woo hoo......

:drive1

For people who haven't heard a K1 in person, to give you an idea of just how vocal it can be when I was installing my one I ran the engine with just the cats on for a laugh, and giggled as it was monstrously loud. I then finished fitting the y-pipe and K1 and started her up, and it was no quieter than when there was nothing on there cat-back! :scare:

All the K1 does is add tone, whether or not it's a likeable one is very much up for debate :)

/slightly_off_topic

local enough to get there any back under my own steam. I only ask as i know that the javelin days are expensive for one driver, but cheap for a second, plus it'd be hard to get your moneys worth i reckon if you go on your own. tbh i'd be quite interested in even just coming along as a passenger - what date were you going over there for?

back on topic though, id start the day with no bungs, and then put them in if they ask you to. I personally dont believe a car can ever be too loud - if you ever watch a GT1 race you'll realise that loud is good! been on a day with an s2000 running a straight pipes and while he did get black flagged for noise, it sounded awesome (could clearly hear it wherever it was on the track lol)

back on topic though, id start the day with no bungs, and then put them in if they ask you to. I personally dont believe a car can ever be too loud - if you ever watch a GT1 race you'll realise that loud is good! been on a day with an s2000 running a straight pipes and while he did get black flagged for noise, it sounded awesome (could clearly hear it wherever it was on the track lol)

Not being funny, but that's the wrong way to go about things. As was pointed out to me a while back, trackdays are under a very real threat of being stopped as the NIMBYs get all excited about a bit of noise, and the less ammo we can give them as trackday goers the better. You'd never notice 10bhp less when on track, nor particularly care, but if by putting bungs or silencers on it means that there is nothing for whingers to complain about then that's what we all should be doing. Yes, we all love it when cars are loud and I'm as big a fan as any, but when you've got your helmet on you can't hear naff-all anyway so you might as well quieten it down and help make sure that there will be trackdays for many years to come.

There's no prizes for having the loudest car on a day, but there is a very real penalty if we all look at it that way.

local enough to get there any back under my own steam. I only ask as i know that the javelin days are expensive for one driver, but cheap for a second, plus it'd be hard to get your moneys worth i reckon if you go on your own. tbh i'd be quite interested in even just coming along as a passenger - what date were you going over there for?

Possibly going on the 11th with a buddy of mine. If so I'll let you know. Happy to give you a passenger ride after I had a few practice laps!!

For people who haven't heard a K1 in person, to give you an idea of just how vocal it can be when I was installing my one I ran the engine with just the cats on for a laugh, and giggled as it was monstrously loud. I then finished fitting the y-pipe and K1 and started her up, and it was no quieter than when there was nothing on there cat-back! :scare:

All the K1 does is add tone, whether or not it's a likeable one is very much up for debate :)

/slightly_off_topic

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm glad to see all that stainless and so called back boxes make a lot of difference!!

I :cloud9: the sound of a bunged K1 its just a shame it don't sound like that with the bungs out :blush:

+1 on that.

They look so much better without the bungs in!!

Still contemplating painting them matt black with some heat resistant paint, but worried it may look tacky!

I :cloud9: the sound of a bunged K1 its just a shame it don't sound like that with the bungs out :blush:

+1 on that.

They look so much better without the bungs in!!

Still contemplating painting them matt black with some heat resistant paint, but worried it may look tacky!

Mine has the bungs painted black and looks good. :thumbs:

Cheers rabitstew, that's really good of you.

Cool pic and the paint works really well, good job. :#1:

I'm pleased yours are nice and level, I need to do some adjusting to mine a the left is a good 20mm or so higher than the right!

Do you use a BBQ paint?

Track day os all booked now, fingers crossed i'm with in limits.

Otherwise there may be some last minute mods to the insides of the bungs!!

Cheers

Jacko

Definitely going Sunday if you want to pop over for a few passenger laps!