Clicking from rear in first and second?

Danc

Hi All,

I've just picked up my UK 2003 350Z.

On getting home though, i've noticed a clicking sound when the windows are down coming from the rear wheels?. It is only when accelerating in first and second.

It's fine going slow over bumps so I think it rules out the suspension....

I'm thinking something in the drive mechanism? Not the best thing straight after buying it but it wasn't noticeable when I test drove it :angry:

I've done a search but not come across anything obvious...

Any ideas?? Any help, much appreciated... :thumbs:

Cheers.

Hi All,

I've just picked up my UK 2003 350Z.

On getting home though, i've noticed a clicking sound when the windows are down coming from the rear wheels?. It is only when accelerating in first and second.

It's fine going slow over bumps so I think it rules out the suspension....

I'm thinking something in the drive mechanism? Not the best thing straight after buying it but it wasn't noticeable when I test drove it :angry:

I've done a search but not come across anything obvious...

Any ideas?? Any help, much appreciated... :thumbs:

Cheers.

You have the infamous clicky rear axles :thumbs:

Do a search on clicky rear axles as its been covered extensively before :)

PS :welcome::thumbs:

I checked that one and its been replaced and seems fine.

Besides the problem with the rear axle though, the cars awesome to drive!! Gone through half a tank and I only got it a few hours ago!!

Well looking forward to having a go on the tracks...

Are there many other members around Herts?

Besides the problem with the rear axle though, the cars awesome to drive!! Gone through half a tank and I only got it a few hours ago!!

SL114 is from Herts I think. He is the resident slag :lol:

yes he is

You called? :D

BTW - I am not the resident slag, i just like my new found freedom and women :thumbs:

Dammit!

Warranty ran out 2 days ago!! :rant:

Any ideas how much a clicky axle is to put right?

Is it worth getting it done at a stealer or can anyone recommend somewhere near north london/herts to sort it? I'm thinking of booking it into Glyn Hopkins Watford unless there are any horror stories?

Sorry no idea on cost's etc. but my mate had his done when it was nearly out of warranty and they ended up replacing the hubs as well because of the difficulty on an old car removing the half shafts :scare:

Best advice is get a "Quotation" , not an estimate before agreeing to get it done

Ok, just an update if anyones interested...

Been quoted as a worst case £749 to do both sides. They said they knew about an issue with older chassis number and this clicking sound and have put right quite a few.

For £749 you get;

2xhousing/wheelbearings

2xrepair kits

2xcv boots

2xdust kits.

including labour and vat and they said is about a 3 hour job.

Best case is £93.59 per side and for that you get the re-grease and 180degree axle rotation.

But these prices are dependent on an initial investigation so maybe somewhere in the middle.

Ok, just an update if anyones interested...

Been quoted as a worst case £749 to do both sides. They said they knew about an issue with older chassis number and this clicking sound and have put right quite a few.

For £749 you get;

2xhousing/wheelbearings

2xrepair kits

2xcv boots

2xdust kits.

including labour and vat and they said is about a 3 hour job.

Best case is £93.59 per side and for that you get the re-grease and 180degree axle rotation.

But these prices are dependent on an initial investigation so maybe somewhere in the middle.

It should be one or the other, not in between. They can't half replace parts :scare:

I'd go with the second one. With this option the clicking will probable return but in about six months or so when you could get it done again and still be in pocket :thumbs:

It should be one or the other, not in between. They can't half replace parts :scare:

I'd go with the second one. With this option the clicking will probable return but in about six months or so when you could get it done again and still be in pocket :thumbs:

:teeth: I dont think it works like that ;)

Why not?

Why not?

cos once you've turned them 180 degrees ,the next time you come to do it your back to square one ;) plus to me it sounds like a half arsed solution to the problem in the first place.. better to replace a faulty part than try remounting it on to a position it hasnt worn as bad (yet!! ;) )

Guest prescience

Why not?

cos once you've turned them 180 degrees ,the next time you come to do it your back to square one ;) plus to me it sounds like a half arsed solution to the problem in the first place.. better to replace a faulty part than try remounting it on to a position it hasnt worn as bad (yet!! ;) )

Tim, you're right its a half-arsed (scuse the pun) solution and the cynical one's amongst us might suspect it as a ruse to get across a warranty threshold date. Get it in writing that you don't think it's a proper fix - only replacement will do :thumbs:

Derrrrrrrrrr. You boys are stupid. The car is out of warranty. Any work is now culpable to the owner. I fully appreciate that the 180 degree turn of the axles is not a permanent fix but it is by far cheaper and by the time the owner comes to sell he may only have had it done once or twice meaning h will be in pocket :thumbs:

Derrrrrrrrrr. You boys are stupid. The car is out of warranty. Any work is now culpable to the owner. I fully appreciate that the 180 degree turn of the axles is not a permanent fix but it is by far cheaper and by the time the owner comes to sell he may only have had it done once or twice meaning h will be in pocket :thumbs:

Your a bodger Sarnie ;):p

Guest prescience
.... by the time the owner comes to sell he may only have had it done once or twice meaning h will be in pocket :thumbs:

Just how many times do you think it will work ;)

How much is a new rear driveshaft (half-shaft, axle etc) anyway? I mean compared to a new tyre say - maybe it's a fuss about not much cash?