Radiator Fan Motor Testing Tip

notfub

Having had an overheating problem while stuck in traffic last Friday, the problem was sourced to the radiator fans not spinning up (well one was but very very slowly).

A good way to test that the motors are fubar'd is to run the car up to temp, give each fan motor a swift tap with a hammer and see if they spring into life. This is what happened to both my fans when testing earlier today, so replacements have been ordered from ZMANALEX :thumbs:. My local Nissan dealer wanted £335 each for the fan motors :wacko: (both motors are the same part by the way).

why didn't you clean the commutator with a com brush and replace the carbon brush's :shrug:

...er because I don't know what a communicator is or what a com brush is. Not everyone is as clued up on electric motors mate but appreciate you posting this if it helps others rescue their motors without getting stung like me.

I've a mate that knows a Nissan tech and to be fair he has suggested that I try and break open the sealed motors and replace the brushes. I'll pop the new motors in to get me mobile and see if my local auto electricians can do anything with my 52k miles old originals. If they are servicable (which seems to be the case) then I'll get them sorted and sell on with a receipt for the work. :thumbs:

• 10 months later...

(Reviving an old thread for the benefit of others to highlight a recall:)

Nissan extended the warranty from 3 years, to 7 years (80,000 miles) on the radiator fans on some years. UNSURE if this only applies in the states or globally?

Quote from Nissan regarding radiator fans recall (not sure if the spelling mistakes are real - sourced from the net)

Dear Nissan Owner:

Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We believe that our current and future success depends on your continued satisfaction with Nissan. With that in mind, we want to bring to your attention important information regarding your Nissan.

On some 2004-2007 350Z's, the radiator fan motor may become in-operable, which may cause engine collant temperature to rise. In this case the engine protection logic will limit the vehicle speed to prevent any dmage to the engine. Because this issue only affects a limited number of vehicles, the vast majority of owners should never experience this issue.

However, to assure your continued satisfaction with your vehicle, Nissan has decided to extend its New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage of your vehicle's Radiator Fan Motor from its original duration of 36 months/36,000 miles to 84 months/80,000 miles (whichever comes first). This warrany extension applies only to the Radiator Fan Motor. Coverage of other vehicle components will remain unchanged, and all other terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of Nissan's New Vehicle Limited Warranty continue to apply. Please consult your warranty information booklet for details.

If you have previous paid to have your Radiator Fan Motor replaced due to a failure, you may be eligible for reimbursement of the expense for parts and labor that you incurred. If you have any additional questions, please contact the National Consumer Affairs Department, Nissan North America, Inc., P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068-5003. The toll free number is 1-800-NISSAN1 (1-800-647-7261)Thank you for the purchase or lease of a Nissan vehicle. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

My 2004 (54) reg model has 2 faulty fans at just 30k - and it's a gnat's nut out of warranty - I must be one of the first to run out of time?.........

I will follow above advice after checking loom as per the service manual (free from the US Nissan site I believe) and our forum's "known issues" section.

Hopefully others will be more lucky.

Apologies if im repeating others/other threads (this is just the first 350z-uk one I found via google so might be the first for others)