Noob Question?!

wackosr

Hi, can someone clarify what this part is please?

:blush:

I though it my be a suspension brace.

Reaso I ask is becasue it's on the rusty side. :thumbdown:

Just wondering wheher to whip it off and retore it or get a replacement or poss upgrade.

Thoughts please.

Cheers

Jacko

I'm probably not qualified to give advice but.. :snack:

It looks like the 'rear pin stay' part 19 on drawing SEC.430 431, page RSU-7 in doc RSU.pdf ('03) of the CD workshop manual you can buy from eBay.

It comes off according to the text, but in the context of rear suspension assembly removal. Couldn't tell you if its a routinely extractable item.

Also, JDMs have smooth (ie un-finned) diffs I thought - well mine does. The one in the pic is finned.

Just thought I'd chip in as I've been poking around underneath looking for rusty bits too. I'll shut up if I'm being in-appropriate. :D

Hi ChrisB,

Cheers for the info, most appreciated. Feel free to chip away!

:teeth:

May have to see if I can get a copy of that, would be useful to have.

Sorry, I should have said this is a UK spec car, hence the fins on the diff. (I guess!)

I'll have to have a closer look at some point to see if the retaining bolts connect to anything crucial!

And if it is a stand alone item.

Yes, need to get them treated before they get worse!!

Hi wackosr,

Ebay has a CD for £3.99 currently which looks the same as mine (quick search for Z33 workshop manual) - although the link relating to the CD I bought has now expired. Manual is a set of pdfs - very informative.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do - I was thinking of selectively coating Dynax on steel parts that need it, rather than dismantling anything.

I looked at the 'professional' under-sealing companies work and was slightly horrified that they spray anything thats not hot or not moving - so you end up with a black mess on all components, even alloy ones. :yuck:

Nice colour BTW..

Hi, thanks, I'll have a search on eBay when I het home later.

Be handy to have a manual, there's bound to be a million and one other things I want to look up.

Not heard of Dynmax but sounds like a good idea.

I must admit, I was thinking of doing the inside of the arches etc in some sort of sealant one I get my 5p rust bubble on the arch fixed!

Must admit I'd like to keep the ally/stainless shiny part shiny!!

Cheers, same as yours?? :teeth:

Cheers Jacko