Help with 6.5 Components please? £250 budget

slimjim

Planning my install and all I have left to sort is my components.

So far I have..

Pioneer P4300DVD - HU

Genesis Profile Four Ultra - AMP

JL 10w3v3 - SUB

So far so good. But I am struggling to work out the comps to go for.

I am looking for Sound Quality and I prefer a rounder warmer sound than a spikey harsh one. So SQ not SPL.

Mostly listening to Metal, classic rock and classical. i.e. Pink Floyd, Amon Tobin, Pantera, Led Zeppelin , Frank Zappa, Faith No More

My budget is £200 but I could stretch to £250 for great speakers.

Perfectly happy to have second hand from someone who has run them clean.

Going onto my Zed which takes 6.5"... The tweets are going to have to have a build done, so the size of them isn't a huge issue.

My main problem is there seems to be no-where round my way with DECENT comps available to listen to.

Would I be MAD to buy something on-line without even hearing/trying them?

Years ago when I was listening to comps for my old car, I chose Rainbows as they were the nicest out f the ones I heard after a "blind" test in "The ICE House" in Stoke.

Never ended up putting them in the car (as I sold it) but I have always thought Rainbows would be the way to go next time I bought.

So, anyone have any comments on any rainbows in my price range?

Till then, the short-list for me to try/hear are:

Audison VOCE AV K6

Hertz HSK

CDT Audio HD's (Second hand?)

Hertz Mille (Second hand?)

Rainbows (Any point in putting these on the list?)

Hybrid Imagine

Suggestions/comments

What to people recommend?

:D

The guy doing my install (Lee at Sonic Frontiers http://www.sonicfrontiers.co.uk/) tries all sorts of speaker/amp/cable combinations in a car before choosing the best combo. I'm still waiting for a call to get my car into his workshop for the transformation to begin but I know he uses Rainbow, CDT's, Audison, DLS, Hertz, Morel etc so your not a million miles away with your choices :thumbs: I did suggest focal's to him but he said they were quite bright and not as warm as others.

I can't wait to go and demo the different setups, will take all day but I'll enjoy it. I normally do my own installs but after seeing Lee's work and attention to detail, I'm leaving it all to him.

I had a set of rainbow cmx 265. Excelent speaker but quite high end heavy imo.however most speakers in the premium range of things have variable crossovers.

Focal may be worth looking at as well.

Cheers for the Rainbow info :thumbs:

Not sure I want that Focal French crap in my car though ;)

Hertz HKS 165's sound great with my Pioneer and a JLAUdio amp :thumbs:

To be honest all of the speakers you mention will be a HUGE improvement.

He He ... yeah any of the above will be a huge improvement...

Just want to be sure I buy right and buy once :thumbs:

Yeah why would you want awesome focal speakers with the great tn52 tweeter and soft warm speakers in your high end Japanese car nothing to do with Renault :wacko:

I had a set of rainbow cmx 265. Excelent speaker but quite high end heavy imo.however most speakers in the premium range of things have variable crossovers.

Focal may be worth looking at as well.

Cheers for the Rainbow info :thumbs:

Not sure I want that Focal French crap in my car though ;)

heard rainbows in a mates 350z they were brilliant :thumbs:

From other sources, I am being told that the rainbows might be a little harsh for me as they are hard cones rather than soft... is that right?

Yeah why would you want awesome focal speakers with the great tn52 tweeter and soft warm speakers in your high end Japanese car nothing to do with Renault :wacko:

DBlock... that is what the wink was for ;)

From other sources, I am being told that the rainbows might be a little harsh for me as they are hard cones rather than soft... is that right?

have no idea on the construction of them, all i know is that if i was building my own ICE from the ground up it would be the rainbows i put in the car. the set i heard was there £150 component set and they sounded great, loads of depth to the sound, and the amount of base you could put through them was crazy.

Ahh. But really try the focals k2p or higher. I bet it's everything your looking for. I know what they say listen to them first but with car audio there is too many variables. Source unit, quality of track, amp, crossover settings, speaker location and speaker enclosure or lack of. If you can check out some dyna audio stuff higher and focal and rainbow and some Boston acoustics. Mb quart and phonix gold are good too. Always opt for a silk/cloth or soft material tweeter if possible as it will make the sound more laid back. The soft speakers mids too will be very gentile and warm. Plus they will be efficient as less power will get them moving. :thumbs:

Cheers Dblock...

Managed to run 80% of my cables now... including a pair of 12awg to my passenger door. Starter raining now so I can't do the drivers side :headhurt:

Looking at how to approach the HU and amp install.... Any hints on where I can earth them both? I heard I can't use the standard earth for the HU?

I used the standard earth for my headunit, you can always just bolt it to the chassis if you wanted.

For the amps i just used 2 off the bolts that held the subwoofer plate in place, not that tidy but it did the job....

P1000377.jpg

Right... I have been into the ICE house and listened to a LOAD of speakers...

and I have gone for.... the Rainbow CS 265.25 Germanium Line :thumbs:

They are a lovely mix of sharper mids due to the metal cone on the 6.5 but a softer tweet as they have fabric cones.

Went a little over budget :lol: