Is the K&N typhoon induction kit any good?

SteveRS

I have a Typhoon,and think its great,well i did,until it slowly ate through my wireing loom. Luckily,it earthed out on the power cable to the dash and air con. (I say lucky,but it was pretty tough when it happens on your way to Leman)

I have ground back the edge that caused the problem,and also put an edging strip on it to protect the cables.

I would say go for it,as its a nice piece of kit,just be aware that its a tight fit in the space,and watch any wires carefully.

My zed came with a pop charger already fitted so unfortunately im without the 06 airbox otherwise i would have just kept that. I've heard the JWT popchargers are good for sound but they also lead to a loss in BHP dont they?

While im at it has anyone got an 06 airbox that they want to sell me?

Mine was the same but luckily I spotted it when I installed it :D

I have a Typhoon,and think its great,well i did,until it slowly ate through my wireing loom. Luckily,it earthed out on the power cable to the dash and air con. (I say lucky,but it was pretty tough when it happens on your way to Leman)

I have ground back the edge that caused the problem,and also put an edging strip on it to protect the cables.

I would say go for it,as its a nice piece of kit,just be aware that its a tight fit in the space,and watch any wires carefully.

Really! :scare: Was this to do with heat/friction? any pics of your slight modification? Is there a noticeable loss of BHP with the typhoon even though its incased?

Sorry,i refitted it all yesterday afternoon. However,its the raw edge on right hand bottom corner that is abit tight with the wiring loom. You will see what i mean when you offer the box up in the space. I just took 5mm or so off that and also put abit of rubber trim on it to protect it some more.

It was just ever so slightly chaffing,and when under load etc,with the engine moving,it very slowly went through.(just above the hard plastic shroud that is there.

My car came with a JWT pop charger,so iv never had a proper air box,but love the sound.

Sorry,i refitted it all yesterday afternoon. However,its the raw edge on right hand bottom corner that is abit tight with the wiring loom. You will see what i mean when you offer the box up in the space. I just took 5mm or so off that and also put abit of rubber trim on it to protect it some more.

It was just ever so slightly chaffing,and when under load etc,with the engine moving,it very slowly went through.(just above the hard plastic shroud that is there.

My car came with a JWT pop charger,so iv never had a proper air box,but love the sound.

Which would you say was better the JWT or the K&N?

I love the sound of my K&N and i am just going to check the wiring looms this very minute!!! I think the issue with the pop chargers is the heat soak (or so i'm led to believe) so if you have a cai like the typhoon this can help with the issue.

To be honest if you're that worried about the few extra bhp that the stock 06 airbox will give you you'll soon forget about it with the growl the pop chargers give.

Which would you say was better the JWT or the K&N?

I noticed that getting going after traffic with the pop charger,the car felt a little slower,cant say iv had the same situation so far with the K+N on. The JWT is alot bigger than the filter on the K+N, not sure if that alters things at all. I wouldnt mind a JWT filter in a K+N style box. The K+N comes with a proper cold air feed,and i actually ran my JWT with the K+N air feed,though noticed no real difference.

I think if you can pick up a 2nd hand Typhoon system (as i did) its probably worth the extra over the JWT,but would struggle to justify a brand new K+N against a JWT.

Hope this helps

i had the JWT and then the typhoon, and then i modded the typhoon.

in short:

JWT = more noise - down side lots of heat soak, loss of bhp

Typhoon = slightly less noise than the jwt, but marginal, without a dyno its difficult to say, but i reckon i suffered less heat soak with the k&n felt like stock air box fitted really.

modded typhoon = i fitted mine with an apexi cone filter as it gives the best gains but the most engine protection when it comes to filtration. also its a dry filter.

more noise, felt bit more responsive. but this is all butt dyno, so not official.

at the end of the day, your fishing around for the difference of 3-5 bhp, which makes sweet f all to the drive of the car.

if you want more noise get something like the JWT, or do a modded typhoon.

if you want bhp bragging numbers for the pub, get an 06 air box, or an airbox conversion kit, and drop a good panel filter in.

in short:

Typhoon = slightly less noise than the jwt, but marginal, without a dyno its difficult to say, but i reckon i suffered less heat soak with the k&n felt like stock air box fitted really.

modded typhoon = i fitted mine with an apexi cone filter as it gives the best gains but the most engine protection when it comes to filtration. also its a dry filter.

more noise, felt bit more responsive. but this is all butt dyno, so not official.

at the end of the day, your fishing around for the difference of 3-5 bhp, which makes sweet f all to the drive of the car.

if you want bhp bragging numbers for the pub, get an 06 air box, or an airbox conversion kit, and drop a good panel filter in.

Im looking for the best filter which doesn't get a large amount of heat soak and still makes noise really, the typhoon came to my attention as i've had K&N products in the past and think they're well worth the money, i also like the fact that its enclosed. I like the look of the ARC induction kit but they are a bit pricey.

:D

anything eclosed then, the typhoon is a good piece of kit, just make sure its fitted right,

i had loom issues with mine, it earthed out one headlight and the horn, which meant the horn would randomly go off, or if you turned the headlights on the horn came on, and sometimes the light would spark at all and would need 3 turns to get the ballast to fire.

turned out to be the corner of the typhoon wearing into the wire loom. cut the corner out, repaired the loom, job done.

k&n filter is fine to use in the typhoon, i just changed mine to the apexi as i like the filter.

P1010237.jpg

P1010238.jpg

Which corner did you have to cut off? a few others have said the same as you about it wearing into the wire loom.

P1010237.jpg

if you look in this picture, top right hand corner, you can actually see where i cut it out, and you can see the loom pass into and through the box.

in short:

Would there still be a power loss if you had a air intake duct fitted on the front bumper?