350z temp gauge rising when car is stopped in traf

khanshirus

Hi, When in traffic for long periods my 350z temp gauge rasises to the red bar. Sometimes i have to stop and switch off and let it cool down. before going again.

On normal runs the temp is fine its only when i am stuck in traffic (living in London so thats pretty much all the time :thumbdown: ) the temp goes up.

I thought it might be the themo switch so i had that replace but its still doing it.. it seems to me although the fans are spining they arent doing the fast cool the car down spin :) I normally can hear when the fans kick in to the cool the engine down and its not doing it..

So do i need new fans or is it something else that controls that.

Also i contacted Nissan and they are telling me some seriously crazy price to replace the fans.. so if it is the fans is there any after market replacement i can stick on instead.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.. tried a search for fan and temp and got 55 pages of stuff.. cba going through them all.

thanks

You'd need to find out if it was the fans, wiring, fuse, relay or temp sensor thats at fault and replace as appropriate. Check the easy stuff first: fuses and relays

Hmm thats a lot .. well its not the fuse as the fans are spinning, replaced the temp switch, from what i understand from some tech people its not the relay.. wiring and fans i guess are the only things left.

I've just had a look in the service manual and its a fairly complicated setup. Theres 3 relays, to control the fans speed.

If Alex has the motors in stock then I'd guess that he's seen failures before.

I've attached the wiring diagram and the diagram showing when the fans should be off, low speed and high speed.