Custon Made LED Rear Indicators

flyboy

BCM controls the blinking of the lights on the dash but not the indicators themselves as far as I can tell. When my BCM died (not sure the whole thing was dead) the lights on the dash didnt work (inc indicators) but putting the indicators on via the stalk did make the actual lights light up.

Why not just use resistors to load it up? Surely thats the easiest way?

Well not really the easiest way, as the resistors produce heat and you have to be careful where you mount them.

It also means messing about with the oem wiring, an electronic flasher unit would just plug in instead of the original if Its a standard 3 or 4 pin unit and I knew where it was :)

Theres plenty of airspace behind the light cluster when its back in the bumper, you can just have them on the back of that. I dont know much about electronics, but most of the LED bulbs I've had before had resistors in them and they never overheated. I appreciate that you have a lot more than a normal LED bulb, but you should be able to have something on the back of the cluster with maybe a heatsink. That will be easier than trying to find where in the control boxes the indicators are controlled from ;)

I may be tempted to offer this as a kit if anyone was interested.

How much do you think it'd cost if you were to offer it as a kit ?

what ballpark cost would we be looking at?

Once I have a set in the car Working, and tested, I will look at the price,

Until then there's really no point.

Ball park. exchange set.

It will be in 3 figs not 2. :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have the lights fitted with load resistors fitted to regulate the flash rate. 50W 6Ohm worked fine.

At night, dusk or when overcast they look bright and work great. In strong direct sunlight they are not bright enough!.

It probably has not helped by putting a tinting film on the lens to match the Smoked JDM LED rear lights, but its not just that.

I might try reducing the resistor value to drive the LED's harder or removing the prism effect off the lens, Has anyone any other suggestions?