HELP - URGENT - 5th Gear Crunch

nij1983

Hi all,

I've just had an RAC check done on a 350z and the engineer has contacted me and given me the results. Apologies for the non-mechanical terms.

These are the main issues:

1) 5th gear crunch. basically the cogs arent meshing together properly. ive been told this leads to metallic deposits in the gear box/gear box area. Recommendation to replace gear box oil to clear out deposits, and to potentially open gear box and fix issue.

2) passenger door and near side of the bumper show signs of re-spray, but no signs of replacement panels or mis-alignment of panels.

3) front brake pads are worn and will need replacing in the next 2-3k miles

4) brake discs show signs of corrosion but should be good for 20-30k miles

5) service is due. last service was at 20k in June 2010, car is now on 27k. will the next one be a P1, P2, P3? and how much would i be looking at?

My biggest concern is issue number 1, does any know how much this would cost to get fixed (rough ballpark amount)? Clearly not going through nissan for that as I'd pay an extortionate amount!

The other issues don't concern me too much.

The car is:

350z 313 2007

27k miles

full Nissan service history

2 owners

sat nav

rays

GT pack

car is generally clean both in and out.

Could someone please help?!

Much appreciated.

Nij

Hi all,

I've just had an RAC check done on a 350z and the engineer has contacted me and given me the results. Apologies for the non-mechanical terms.

These are the main issues:

1) 5th gear crunch. basically the cogs arent meshing together properly. ive been told this leads to metallic deposits in the gear box/gear box area. Recommendation to replace gear box oil to clear out deposits, and to potentially open gear box and fix issue.

2) passenger door and near side of the bumper show signs of re-spray, but no signs of replacement panels or mis-alignment of panels.

3) front brake pads are worn and will need replacing in the next 2-3k miles

4) brake discs show signs of corrosion but should be good for 20-30k miles

5) service is due. last service was at 20k in June 2010, car is now on 27k. will the next one be a P1, P2, P3? and how much would i be looking at?

My biggest concern is issue number 1, does any know how much this would cost to get fixed (rough ballpark amount)? Clearly not going through nissan for that as I'd pay an extortionate amount!

The other issues don't concern me too much.

The car is:

350z 313 2007

27k miles

full Nissan service history

2 owners

sat nav

rays

GT pack

car is generally clean both in and out.

Could someone please help?!

Much appreciated.

Nij

Not worth overhauling these gearboxes :thumbdown:

4000 mile preowned gearboxes in stock for HR

I am just rushing out so will pm you prices tonight :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Help with what? You hav'nt asked a question!

The report should tell you everything you need to know. The gears are quite crunchy in the Zed anyway but I would get a quote / rough figure for the cost of the work and negotiate that off the price. Gearboxes are expsnive when they go!

Same with brake pads but this is obivously less of an issue.

My main concern in your position would be the gearbox. If you're not 100% on it walk away! There will always be another and it's the old addage 'looks too good to be true, then it probably is'. :thumbs:

It was an indirect question :-D

I don't mind the gear box issue, it's all repairable I just don't want a £1k bill just after I've bought the car. I'll see what Alex says regarding used gear boxes.

Anyone have a clue about the cost of replacing a gearbox?

thanks all, Alex in particular. The conversation we had earlier was definately helpful.

think i'm going to go for the Zed, aim to get at leask £1k off the asking price.

I'll try a few things with the gearbox and if they dont resolve the issue ill get it replaced. At least the cost won't hit me all at once :)