Fitted on my JWT pop-charger

HassanZ

Hi everyone,

I received my JWT pop charger yesterday :yahoo:

I did not waste any time and began the fitting process, following these helpful instructions:

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetra ... -pics.html

I came across a couple of issues along the way, but I got there in the end! In the photo, there is a gold bolt/screw where the silver metal piece sticks out in the engine bay (supporting the metal connecting rod that joins to the air filter), I used the wrong screw there and ended up snapping the head off as I over-tightened it! This gold screw was actually off the air tube with the air flow sensor enclosed that attached to the back of the OEM air box, I realised later on. It took me an hour to unscrew it back out using a pair of pliers, my back was aching after that!! I've ended up scratching that metal with the gold screw on in the photo when I was unwinding the broken screw/bolt with the pliers, can this start to rust over time? The gold screw in the photo is still the incorrect one, I have now replaced it with the correct screw that was taken off the original air box.

I purchased this after reading 100s of positive comments on this kit. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I don't seem to hear a significant amount of difference in noise, just a slight woosht/suction noise when blipping the throttle (not that loud). When idling, the car sounds exactly the same as before (I expected it to have more of a 'hiss' noise like my previous induction kit on a Celica).

With regards to the performance, I've noticed the car feels more torque'y on low revs. This may either be the 'placebo effect' or the fact that I disconnected the negative terminal on my battery for a few hours to reset the ECU, whilst I was fitting the pop charger. This ECU reset may have also reset the throttle response causing it to be more responsive (previous owner was an elderly driver so may have driven it nicely for the past 5 years of ownership).

The air filter seems much higher the the rest of the engine bay (including the engine cover), I'm worried the filter will be hitting the bonnet when I close it?

Can somebody with a JWT popcharger fitted please compare my photos to yours and confirm whether I have fitted it correctly?

I appreciate your help guys :thumbs:

Kind Regards,

Hassan

Photos are below:

photo1-11.jpg

photo3-14.jpg

photo4-11.jpg

photo5-7.jpg

It looks ok to me. I believe the idea of the wobbly rubber bit on the guard sitting so high is to seal against the bonnet underside to minimise heat soak from the engine side. You would still get more heat soak than the standard box and filter. The main benefits I think are more to do with the induction noise than anything really tangible.... but I like them anyway.

The induction noise is more noticeable over 4000 revs with your foot down. I like the fact it is quiet when you want it to be.

It looks ok to me. I believe the idea of the wobbly rubber bit on the guard sitting so high is to seal against the bonnet underside to minimise heat soak from the engine side. You would still get more heat soak than the standard box and filter. The main benefits I think are more to do with the induction noise than anything really tangible.... but I like them anyway.

The induction noise is more noticeable over 4000 revs with your foot down. I like the fact it is quiet when you want it to be.

Ah ok...explains why it's so quite then. I havn't actually taken it past 4k revs yet so maybe that's why I've not noticed anything. I always had the impression it drastically changes the sounds below 4k and idle noise too. I guess not then :headhurt:

Yes there must be more warm air going to the filter, you can tell by looking at the position of the heat shield.

The actual cone filter is sitting higher than the rest of the components in the engine bay, including the engine. That's why I fear it may be touching the underside of the bonnet, I don't want to end up denting the bonnet by shutting the bonnet and hitting the filter cone. How much space is there between the underside of the bonnet and the components in the engine bay?

the bottom of my filter, the actual blue bit is touching some tubed wires. Is that safe? Is the filter meant to be not in contact with anything (clear of any obstruction).

Many Thanks for your help.

Hassan

If you look directly across the engine bay laterally, the highest part of the cone should be about the same height as the crease in the black engine cover, just ahead of the Nissan badge. I would not expect the cone itself to be much higher than that. The flexible rubber bit on the heat shield will, of course, be higher.

The underside of the cone is likely to be very near to two sections of the wiring loom but both are protected by robust sheathing so that should not be an issue.

If you look directly across the engine bay laterally, the highest part of the cone should be about the same height as the crease in the black engine cover, just ahead of the Nissan badge. I would not expect the cone itself to be much higher than that. The flexible rubber bit on the heat shield will, of course, be higher.

The underside of the cone is likely to be very near to two sections of the wiring loom but both are protected by robust sheathing so that should not be an issue.

So the 2 wires with the plastic casing touching the air filter will not affect the performance of it? My filter is slightly deformed (flat not jaggered) on the side that's being covered by the rubber heat shield guard, would that effect the performance of it?

I got a blob of Blue tack and stuck it on the black rim (highest point) of the air filter, the base part. I closed the bonnet and opened it again to see how flat the blue tack went. The blue tack had the indentations of the air filter rim and the metal line on the underside of the bonnet. Looking at difference in length between both the indentations, there is approximately 7mm to a cm difference.

Many Thanks,

Hassan

Why does my car feel unbelievable torquey compared to before fitting my induction kit? Is it to do with the ECU reset which resulted in my throttle being reset also?

I gave it a proper blast yesterday, I was blown away by the noise it makes! Best money I have spent on the Zed so far by a country mile!!

Pah! Snapping only one bolt - you amateur..........this how you **** up properly viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42386&hilit=fail ;)

The noise passed 4k is definitely in the 'lion with twanged knackers' range of noise :cloud9:

:lol::lol::lol:

OMG you're just like me!! :headhurt:

We both did the same thing (well more or less!)

Yeah I relate the roar to a tiger/lion too!

Your thread is a classic, love it!!!