Cost to fit rear brakes?

evilscorp

Hi guys, have a problem, want to fit my new DBA rear discs + pads but Im worried my torque wrench or spanner wont give me enough force to remove the 250N/m bolts holding the calipers on and its such a tight space as I only have axel stands! Phoned around and have been quoted £60 to fit them which seems a bit high?

Any suggestions/tips?

Hi guys, have a problem, want to fit my new DBA rear discs + pads but Im worried my torque wrench or spanner wont give me enough force to remove the 250N/m bolts holding the calipers on and its such a tight space as I only have axel stands! Phoned around and have been quoted £60 to fit them which seems a bit high?

Any suggestions/tips?

dont think thats a bit high, they need to look at it and then their clock start... should be within 1 hour for sure you might get it down to what 40£ somewhere else. I'd say you can do it yourself though I used a shortish wrench when I took mine off and didnt have much of an issue. (make sure you've secured it enough with the axle stands though)

If it's to loosen the bolts that hold the caliper, then you can do what I do.

raise car, drop onto axle stands, chock wheels, preferrably have the bolts presoaked in WD40 before, get single hex spanner onto bolt head and then whack the other end of spanner with a rubber mallet whilst keeping the spanner in place with the other free hand.

Is there enough space to do this on the top bolts? if so I may need to invest in a mallet or borrow one from work tryed removing the caliper bolts from a celica a few weeks back but didnt have a hex spanner big enough here's hoping the 350z is a smaller bolt. If money was no object I would have a workshop a tool collection to put most garages to shame but at them moment I only buy things when I need em or things brake! :lol:

According to the service manual the rear brake caliper bolts have to be tightened to 71.6 - 97Nm, so they should be ok to get off. I believe it's the hub bolt that is set to 250Nm and you won't need to take this off unless you want to get the wheel bearing or drive shaft off.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a quote for £22 from a decent garage to change just the rear pads on my zed, at that price its not worth my time/effort doing it. If I wanted the discs done too it was 40-50.

Obviously I supply the parts.

I just had a quote for £22 from a decent garage to change just the rear pads on my zed, at that price its not worth my time/effort doing it. If I wanted the discs done too it was 40-50.

Obviously I supply the parts.

For the pads, all you need to do is loosen wheels nuts a little, jack up car, remove wheel nuts, remove wheel, on the brake caliper, remove to retaining clips and pins, slide pads out, push piston back in with large flatblade screwdriver, slide in new pads and reverse assemble from clips and pins bit.

Don't forgot to take the cap off the brake fluid cylinder so pushing the piston back is easier.

You could also while everything is off and the new pads are in, bleed the brakelines or replace the brake fluid with new.

Really not a big job and once you have done it, you'll wonder what the fuss is all about

This is what you'll be looking at basically (clips and pins are out at this point)

DSC01839.jpg