Windsor

coldel

Wife and I have been looking around for about six months for an area to move to where we can afford to buy a house...we live in Putney in a rented place, thats a no unless you win a million. Richmond, no. Chiswick, No. Twickenham, no, unless you live in a stix a bit.

Then we went for a coffee yesterday just to kick back relax and jumped a train to Windsor. Stunning place, and even more suprising as we passed an estate agent its totally affordable.

I cannot explain how excited we are...

Lived in Ascot / Bracknell for nearly 3 years, loved Windsor, only 10 minutes drive, nearly every night going out for a drive from Ascot to Windsor! Good food restaurants, bar, pubs and clubs, gets very busy in the weekend, etc etc. You'll love it! Not to speak about the roads when you're going out for a drive, fun, fun, fuuuuun!

Cheers pal, looking for that sort of feedback at the moment as it is a big step to move a fair distance from friends etc.

We did actually spot a couple leave a house on a road we were looking at some places on and Rebecca just grabbed them and grilled them with twenty questions about the area. They seemed to love it too, plenty of things to do etc.

...and yeah be nice to be able to fire up the Zed and just get on a country road very quickly, not quite so possible in zone 2 of London! :teeth:

Talking about roads and driving, try these two routes, night or day, doesn't matter, your Zed will love them, I promise! Drove Alfa Romeo 156 v6 2.5, BMW M5 E39 and many other cars at least three times a week, every single night on the summer nights :drive1

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 64187&z=13

and

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 64187&z=13

I'll come and join you for some driving when you move in :)

Good luck finding your place!

I used to live in St Margarets just outside of Richmond and Twickenham, very expensive!!

Windsor is very nice, I'd investigate the council tax prices there, as of course it's serious Royal ground!!

Eton or Datchet are also very nice.

Tried Datchet but a little too quiet for out liking, although that is only inbetween the aircraft flying some 500ft above our heads :lol:

We are going to look at a place in Eton next week, 3 bed house with views of the river, 5 min walk to the station. Liking that a lot actually. My dream has been a bit shattered though as there is no parking immediately outside so cleaning the car is going to be a bucket carrying job still, but the house is very nice. Just would be nice to be able to get a pressure washer and various other electrical plugged in devices to use on cleaning the car as I do it once a week and it takes about three hours each time.

Council tax isn't that bad by all accounts, obviously depends on the property but having lived in SW15 which comes under Wandsworth council tax (hurrah £600 a year!) I am hoping to get another low on.

Will take you up on that drive Octet, if you can keep up :lol:

I was joking, I am a relatively slow driver :D

I actually enjoy making the journey a longer one with some leisurely driving interspersed with a quick throttle to overtake then calm down again.

:lol::lol: Wandsworth.... I used to go clubbing there years and years ago... before the club got shut down (Club UK).

£600 per year is friggin amazing, but then again life expectancy in that neck of the woods is something like 25?

Putney is nice though, Anneka Rice lives there, along with a number of other famous people I'm sure.

...and I live there as well remember ;)

Wandsworth is a big borough, Club UK is in a rather dodgy part, under a tower block if I remember rightly? Whereas if you were in Wandsworth Common area (I mean housing/bars and not wandering the common at night with a pink carnation) you are neighbours with Gordon Ramsey and probably in a £1m+ house...Putney is great, another famous resident who lives 3 streets from me is a politician, Nick Clegg! But again a 2 bed house with a small garden is going to set you back around £550k-£600k :surrender:

Windsor is a lovely place. It's funny how just a few miles outside of a London postcode prices drop. I border Herts & Thames Valley areas and the house prices drop by what some would consider a mortgage alone!