Intermittent Clattering Sound at Idle - Help!

stubzie83

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help.

I posted earlier today with a mystery noise that I was convinced was linked to the brakes. Turns out it's nothing to do with them :doh:

The problem is that I am getting an intermittent rattling/clunking when the engine is at warm idle. Basically I'll slow down to a stop and as the engine revs drop off to idle there are sometimes a few loud clunks that last for a few seconds. These can then either carry on (whilst I'm at idle) or just randomly stop. Happens with the clutch pedal depressed or released and is a lot louder and more occasional than the release bearing whirring noise which disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Did it really badly a few times on the drive home today. Tried to record the sound when I got home but it stopped doing it :doh:

Any advice?

Cheers,

Steve

The car was rattling like a good 'ub when I got home today, so I got out popped the bonnet and located the sound source. It would seem that it's the engine torque damper I put in that's started rattling. Feels quite solid but is definitely the sound source. I think that the connection in the middle of the damper is probably the culprit.