OBD2 BLUETOOTH + WIFI

neo-ninja

Hi All,

Just a quick question, i recently bought a ODB2 bluetooth from ebay, got a good deal on it around £15 i tried plugging it in today but found my Iphone 4 would not find it via bluetooth, it just sits there scanning away.

Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas? When i get round to it i want to use it in the Carpc but figured i would test it with some apps on iphone.

Let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure, but I thought there was something different about the iPhone's bluetooth? Maybe a newer spec, but I thought it'd be backwards compatible at least. I'm hoping to go this way too, but with using a Galaxy Tab, Torque (the app), and a BT OBD2 dongle. Will be interested in how you get on :)

Not sure, but I thought there was something different about the iPhone's bluetooth? Maybe a newer spec, but I thought it'd be backwards compatible at least. I'm hoping to go this way too, but with using a Galaxy Tab, Torque (the app), and a BT OBD2 dongle. Will be interested in how you get on :)

Friend of mine did it in his mini cs and worked fine with his andorid phone. ...... very odd..

I've been looking into this for a while now. iPhones have very restrictive bluetooth that is only designed for audio systems. There are ways around it, but you need to jailbreak your phone (I'd do this anyway!) and be running version 3.x.x. Then you need to download either iBluetooth or iBluenova. iOs 4 doesn't allow this software to work though. Androids have no problems. :rant:

I'm using the same system for my in car nav thingy, see the linky below for more pics and stuff although I'm still waiting on parts to arrive.

How does the odb2 bluetooth work? does it litterally plug into the odb2 socket and work automatically with the stereo? if so sounds good to me!

Forget about iphone bluetooth. My missus has an iphone and apart from the long list of things which iphones cant do, which other phones have been able to do for 10 years or more, we also found bluetooth was not really bluetooth. Normally on phones you can bluetooth business cards, images, even music files to anything (laptops, pc`s, other phones) using the bluetooth. On the iphone we couldnt get it to work at all. Which was anoying, as ive got a bluetooth handsfree earpiece which ive used on my last 5 phones and last 3 workphones without any problems, but is no use to her iphone. Apparently iphone have crippled the bluetooth to only work with certain iphone add-ons. Bit like how they crippled the connector on the bottom so even previous "apple approved" charges and accessories wont always work with the iphone. In fact, some early approved iphone accessories wont even work with the iphone 3g onwards.

I will take a pic of it later, but yes OBD plugs straight into obd port, it sticks out about an inch, but unless you have chunky legs are are clumpsy i dont recon you will catch it will your leg.

i was going to get dashcommand on the carpc to run the GTR gages (thought it would be quite cool, not that i know what much of it means i liked the idea of extra gadgetty bits! lol)