Strange noise when in Neutral

Kingman

Hoping you might be able to help with problem.

When putting my car in neutral getting a horrible whirring, grating noise, disappears immediately clutch is depressed. Let clutch up, noise starts again.

I am not at all mechanical so not sure what it might be. Performance, clutch, gears etc all seem fine, but noise doesnt sound like nothing to worry about.

Any suggestions?

BTW I am driving an 07 313 350z roadster GT

Cheers

Andy

A bit more info.

Noise is defo not coming from engine bay, in fact you cant hear it very well when standing in front of the car looking at the engine. Its coming from underneath the car kind of level with back wheels.

Car is under warranty with Nissan main dealer as i only purchased at Xmas, so let me know what you think and I an take it in

Cheers

Andy

In all honesty mate I wouldn't worry about it. I noticed it with mine too, although mine doesn't sound as bad as your description. Never been a problem and I got used to it. There are a number of things I thought were a problem with my car after I had it a few weeks, then I read up on here and found most of them were characteristics of the car.

Don't worry sit back and enjoy the sun.

however if you think it is more serious then contact zmanalex, I'm sure he will have something to fix it.

Good luck with the warranty, I had a full Nissan warranty and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Everything is blamed on wear and tear.

However as the car is recently purchased from the garage definitely get them to take a look asap.

It's normal. The noise disappears when you depress the clutch pedal because you are removing the drive to the gearbox, hence it stops spinning. Once you take up drive in gear you won't here it over the rise in revs/road noise etc. As the gearbox is on the back of the engine the noise will appear to come from under the floor rather than the engine bay. Unless it's really excessive, you can relax and..... :drive1