Reg90 and DS2500 pads question

Roo

Having a read up on DS2500 pads and I found this

"Please remember these pads are not reg 90 approved and therefore any car made later than 2000 should only use these pads on track!"

Can anyone of you braking gurus explain a bit exactly what this means? I know plenty of pople use them on here on road and track but if they are not "approved" what does this mean if I have a braking "issue". :blush:

I notice this information in absent from a multitude of other sites so is it a genuine "you may not be covered" situation. OR is it another piece of straight cucumber eu crap and only affects me if i go in to europe?

From what I can see Reg 90 is to do with brakes being within 15% of the OEM requirements as well as various durability tests.

Source is here http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/prod ... climb+Pads

I am looking at a decent road setup with some possible track use and this is kinda putting me off the Ferodo pads till i know what it means in real terms.

Ta! Roo.

To much scaremongering information.

The Ferodo DS 2500 is a fantastic pad for road use and great for the occasional track day. :#1:

That is all you require to know :lol::lol::lol:

Ive no doubt chap :thumbs: What actually is it though? :wacko:

To much scaremongering information.

The Ferodo DS 2500 is a fantastic pad for road use and great for the occasional track day. :#1:

That is all you require to know :lol::lol::lol:

Ive no doubt chap :thumbs: What actually is it though? :wacko:

Sorry mate, I do not know. :)

ECE Regulation 90

The European approval standard

How is the standard achieved?

To achieve the E standard, brake pads must conform to three key areas of regulation:

Production The production plant must conform to acceptable control standards such as ISO9002 and carry conformity of production tests on friction, shear and compressibility.

Performance Pads must be tested through a combination of independently witnessed vehicle and dynamometer procedures to assess compatibility to the OE pad, speed sensitivity and product integrity. The aftermarket pad must be

±15% of the OE.

Packaging Boxes and pads must be marked with a defined set of information, such as the approval number and the applications for which the pads are approved. The box containing the product must be tamper-proof and contain fitting instruction in the language of the country in which it is sold.

Is the E standard necessary?

If you want to be assured of the highest quality brake pads, the answer is an unequivocal YES. The standard ensures that the company's production conforms to total quality requirements and that the technical performance of the brake pads are the same as those demanded for OE equipment.

Is the standard obligatory?

The provisions of Regulation 90 have already been ratified and adopted by European Union member states. It is illegal to sell light commecial vehicle brake pads if they have not achieved the standard. It is anticipated that the regulation will apply to heavy commercial vehicles soon.

or its this

Reg%27s%2090th%20Birthday%20Party%2017%20July%202010%20011.JPG

Basically it needs to have the equivellant of E-mark for pads, to prove scientifically that they will behave near as damit the same as OEM pads. IMO these are far superior to OEM pads and wouldnt worry about it. :thumbs: