Hartside Breakfast Club

AK350Z

To celebrate the rise of petrol past £1.40 a litre, (or the first decent weather of the year, I forget :lol: ), my friend Phil and I decided it was time for another run over to Hartside in the Pennines. His recently acquired Clio V6 needed its first good hoon anyway. Being a weekend, I was decided that the best option would be a shockingly early alarm for a Saturday; 6:15am. :surrender:

IMAG0247.jpg

7am we left Egremont bound east, stopping at Keswick for a fill-up of soon to be immolated hydrocarbons! :blush:

IMAG0248.jpg

We knew our dawn raid plan had worked soon after we got past Penrith. The roads were dead (8:10am), and only occasional cars going the other way for the saturday morning big shop.

Just past Melmerby we pulled over so I could attach the famous ebay camera to the front bumper, this is the start of the good bit! :drive1

Any shimmies, are of course just the camera moving about, not me trying to be Juha Kankkunen running a tarmac stage. ;)

Once we had a run or two in the bag, and we realised the Hartside Cafe wasn't open yet, we went to investigate a tip off for a classic road in the area (thanks Elfman), the B6277, from Alston to Middleton-in-Teesdale.

Suffice to say it was pretty epic.

Once up on the moors, its desolate! Nothing but scrub and rock as far as you can see. We didn't stop for pics, but google earth lets you see what its like:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.709665,-2.321017&spn=0,0.003484&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=54.709765,-2.3205&panoid=RhHEKLJSYlCmo6AAQHTbkw&cbp=12,79.54,,0,-5.89

At Middleton, we turned onto a couple of b-roads and joined the B6278 and headed north.

Spot the Hairpins :D

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.654719,-2.01436&spn=0,0.111494&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=54.65617,-2.012566&panoid=2xRzrRggi7stsnzTcKKvuw&cbp=12,244.36,,0,15.66

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.711879,-2.024746&spn=0,0.111494&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=54.712425,-2.025619&panoid=m5JfKErlaUYk2exz7N79BA&cbp=12,95.03,,0,12.27

Eventually we reached Stanhope, and the A689, and traffic. Despite the busier road, we still had a couple of good stretches, and made it back through Alston and onward to the Hartside cafe for 10am. Staright into a good full english and plenty of tea!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.783934,-2.295241&spn=0,0.055747&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=54.783943,-2.295237&panoid=IUqajw-DXrbo07bsTSbySg&cbp=12,253.36,,0,3.26

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

After breakfast, we had a couple more runs up and down Hartside, initially passing a new purple GTR going the other way! we quickly turned round at the bottom, hoping to catch him at the cafe, only to just find him pulling out of the car park as we got there :wacko: . We passed him going the other way AGAIN on the way back down! By this time we were giving each other big waves and flashing lights, but we had to call it quits after that and head home. Traffic was in full flow and non of the last runs were close to being clear.

Heading back on the A66 towards Blencathera, big smiles not pictured :teeth: :

IMAG0249.jpg

A fine morning, and back for lunch. :yahoo::drive1

Thae Alston to Middleton road is well known by any NE member who has been on any run organised by me when I was events organisor.

Both on the RX8OC and here.

It is a truly epic road, and one I never, ever, tire of. :thumbs:

Hi mate, that was me in the gtr was up there celebrating its run-in service being done on the friday :D

was with my mate in the blue alpina, though he was passenger with me when we passed the 2nd and 3rd times.

nice motors and nice write up and pics. watched the video thinking i might see myself come flying round the corner but think that was shot before i got there.

went home (scotch corner area) on the middleton teesdale road which as you say is also spectacular.

had a great day, pity we missed each other for a chat.

glad you had fun too :drive1

Hi mate, that was me in the gtr was up there celebrating its run-in service being done on the friday :D

was with my mate in the blue alpina, though he was passenger with me when we passed the 2nd and 3rd times.

nice motors and nice write up and pics. watched the video thinking i might see myself come flying round the corner but think that was shot before i got there.

went home (scotch corner area) on the middleton teesdale road which as you say is also spectacular.

had a great day, pity we missed each other for a chat.

glad you had fun too :drive1

Ha! Well stuff me. Hello there :wave:

I don't expect you got a clear run from top to bottom did you? The camera run was done at 8am ish, so nice and quiet. We stopped at the bottom for five at the end so I could go to the bakery just in case you appeared again, but no!

Incidentally, yours is only the second GTR I've ever seen on the road. :drive1

Oh, and as I didn't get any of you: :worthless:

if your wondering how id found you (im not a stalker!) i put a spotted of your cars on pistonheads northeast and someone linked this thread!

had a pretty clear run the 1st time got past a van at the bottom just before all the good stuff :D

made pretty light work of any stragglers i found further up too. next two runs were busier but still good fun.

only had it about 2 weeks, just driving round with a stupid grin on my face all the time!

proof :cloud9:

IMG_0179.JPG.zip

IMG_0179.JPG.zip

IMG_0179.jpg

Eeee, It's a small world eh? Liked the colour, must get one when I win that lottery! I was thinking of going over to the GTROC and putting a spotted up, though the chances of you being on the Pistonheads forums were small. Shows what I know eh!

if your wondering how id found you (im not a stalker!) i put a spotted of your cars on pistonheads northeast and someone linked this thread!

That will be me :wave:

what a stalker or who linked me!!!?

op-cheers for doing the pic, i was pissing about for ages and still didnt think id done it :bang:

dont post much on the forums but i am on pistonheads and gtroc. (and now here!)

lurker with a login

That will be me :wave:

what a stalker or who linked me!!!?

op-cheers for doing the pic, i was pissing about for ages and still didnt think id done it :bang:

dont post much on the forums but i am on pistonheads and gtroc. (and now here!)

lurker with a login

:lol: who linked you. Dazwood from pistonheads :thumbs: