Electrical Problem!!! HELP!

Beau

Hi Guys, Hopping someone can help me out here.

The horn on my 350z is not working at all and Im not sure what the problem could be.

I have read about the spinal cable getting damaged if the steering wheel is spun around too many times which I could have possibly done as the steering rack was damaged.

I have taken out the spinal cord thing today, only to realise it is not a cord but a eletrical circuit board device with 2 gears.... :wacko: Im not really too sure how it works and nothing seems to be damaged. I have tested the plug and power is coming thought..... However I think it is a electrical problem as I am also no getting any power to the front windscreen wash motors either.

Is there anyway of diagnosing the problem somehow??? Any help much appreciated!

Thanks, Beau

I have checked the fuses and they are all fine. And I see no reason why the horn it self would just fail? :wacko:

Why not? bad earth? can get corroded down there. Your probably in the right area as your steering rack was damaged but I would still eliminate it.Horns do and can fail.Has to be worth checking just saying.

ok, A quick update! I tested the horn with a 12 volt Battery and it works! :D

I checked if there is power comeing to the horn through the wires and there is nothing.... So I checked the fuses and they are all fine.

What can it be? Tomorrow I will try and reset the ECU using the guide. Do you guys think this will help?

Thanks

Very easy Beau, replace the angle position unit - easier to swap it complete with stalks etc.

Ask Madmarky as he had the same unit and this sorted it. Be careful when fitting it though as they are VERY easy to upset.

:thumbs:

• 2 months later...
Very easy Beau, replace the angle position unit - easier to swap it complete with stalks etc.

Ask Madmarky as he had the same unit and this sorted it. Be careful when fitting it though as they are VERY easy to upset.

Yes i did have the same problem. If it is anything like mine the signal was getting through the latteral steering sensor unite which is the plastic unit the goes around the steering colum and houses the storks. It took me 3 different ones to finally get it working and the auto electricain couldnt work it out any further as its a sealed unit. I just think the jolt from an impact vibrates through the colum and detroys something inside. Best bet is see if R35LEE has any, he will know what part it is as he supplied many to me. You can swap it over yourself quite easy yourself im sure. The tricky part is somehow this unit is paired with the steering rack so i think the car is quite fussy so it may take a few different ones to get one that works. If in doubt i can give you the details of the auto electrician i used as he is only in Bedford.

Yes i did have the same problem. If it is anything like mine the signal was getting through the latteral steering sensor unite which is the plastic unit the goes around the steering colum and houses the storks. It took me 3 different ones to finally get it working and the auto electricain couldnt work it out any further as its a sealed unit. I just think the jolt from an impact vibrates through the colum and detroys something inside. Best bet is see if R35LEE has any, he will know what part it is as he supplied many to me. You can swap it over yourself quite easy yourself im sure. The tricky part is somehow this unit is paired with the steering rack so i think the car is quite fussy so it may take a few different ones to get one that works. If in doubt i can give you the details of the auto electrician i used as he is only in Bedford.

Hi, thanks! I managed to sort this out too myslef. Got a second hand from off ebay (one that was not involved in a accident or steering problems) and just switched it over! :)