Brake question

neo-ninja

Hi Guys,

got the car serviced yesterday p2. I also had rear brake pads done. they said the car sailed through like a dream.

Anyway my question is today i was looking at the rear pads (as always nervous about wheels bolts not being done up correctly etc..) and noticed that on one of the breaks it looks like there is a metal plate sticking a little bit out prob about 3-5mm looked a little odd (but not scary odd) i then checked the other side and it looks flush.

i tried looking at the below link:

http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php ... rake_4.jpg

And i think it could be parts 12 or 14 sticking out a little - my question is is this because its not bedded in properly yet? is it anything to be concernd about and should i go back to the garage for them to check?

The car seems to break fine so not really concerned there.

Any help as always greatly appreciated!

Id say that your diagnosis is right,sounds to me like the anti squeel shims have just moved up abit. I cant imagine its anything to worry about,as its held in compression anyway,and has the pins through the top to hold it all roughly in place. I wouldnt worry,but if its bugging you,you could always take the pads out and replace,making sure the shims are unseen.

It's a wear marker I think. Looks like it. It was causes the brakes to squeal when pads are low so you know that they need changed

It's attached to the pad

Theres one on the other side also but it may be on the inner pad so you won't get to see it.

Chris pads are an easy change discs need the run out checked

It's a wear marker I think. Looks like it. It was causes the brakes to squeal when pads are low so you know that they need changed

It's attached to the pad

Theres one on the other side also but it may be on the inner pad so you won't get to see it.

Chris pads are an easy change discs need the run out checked

Ah so if they are new pads, is that not a bit odd?

Is it touching the disc. There should be about 5mm or so between it and the disc for a new pad.

I dont think so (i will go down later and check), but what concerns me more is that it is on one side but not the other and i cant see it on the front brakes..

Put your finger down the rear of the other calipers and you will feel it. It's nothing to worry about. Just means the put the pads in the other way around. You can swap them round in 5 minutes if it's really annoying you. I put all mines on the outside so I can see how they're wearing. No biggy really :thumbs:

oh i see, so if the others were the otehr way around you would be able to see it. So there not suddenly going to fall off, and there not faulty pads?!

Thank god for that. Lol i get dead worried about stuff like this as you cant afford to skimp on breaks and tires (or it could mean a very painfull end!)

As above, it's the brake wear indicator. You can see it on the diagram. Only on one pad per pair. When the pad has worn the metal comes into contact with the disc and gives off a high pitched squeel, alerting you to the fact that your pads need changing. You're right: don't skimp on brakes and tyres ;)

When changing my pads Zmanalex fitted the pad with the wear indicators on the inside! :thumbs: The inner pad wears much faster than the outer on a Zed! Its just one of it's little nuances!

I'm sure Alex knows what he is doing! :#1: He is the Zman after all! B)