Road bike?! any pedellers out there?

V88 REG

beats pickin your nose watching tele anyway

Are you watching me?! ;)

I am just getting into peddling, I did a charity ride last year which was a 100 miles! Which I know for your experienced lot is not that far... but I did it last minute and my training went like this 12 mile, 26 mile, 62 mile then the 100. Needless to say I was sore and I didnt want to look at a bike for a while. This year I am gonna training properly and try and beat my 15mph average speed.

15mph ? strong wind? just joking.. well done though 100 miles is a long distance.

i do 35mile circuit 2wice a week. from wokingham to Henley and back.

what bike do you have ?

Haha! Yeah Yeah alright I know all I can say is there was alot of hills! :blush:

I am looking forward to getting out there once the clocks go back. I did that ride on a old raleigh racer which I borrowed, its a small sprint bike (I am 6"2!) with a reynolds frame I think it was. I am now looking for a new bike which is better suited to my height and something which is abit more modern, however I am on a budget as I have my wedding in Oct.

If I am doing a 100 miler does my training rides need to be 100 miles?

mines for sale :yahoo:

erm, well u can... doing 100miles will do no harm like being thrown in at the deep end but what i found best was to plan a route which was say '30 miles' then you can do loops, then you have check point in which you can stop or carry one etc.

making sure that your bike is set up correctly for your height and seat length etc is vital and can make is so much easier.

and just make sure you never stop pedalling :)

if you think and train correctly you can go any distance.

Also take some sort of suppliment or something will keep u going while out on the bike.

My girlfriend has a Spesh Allez for work. It's quite nice, but could do with some front mounts for mudguards for commuting duty. As a pure road bike though, it would be fine, quite light for the money too.

Oh and don't forget pics: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38473 We accept pics and craic from the dark side too! ;):teeth:

In short, no. but you should be very comfortable doing at least half or two thirds distance. If you can do that, you should be able to push the extra on the day just by going at a more moderate pace than your training rides.

In short, no. but you should be very comfortable doing at least half or two thirds distance. If you can do that, you should be able to push the extra on the day just by going at a more moderate pace than your training rides.

what he said :thumbs:

mines for sale :yahoo:

erm, well u can... doing 100miles will do no harm like being thrown in at the deep end but what i found best was to plan a route which was say '30 miles' then you can do loops, then you have check point in which you can stop or carry one etc.

making sure that your bike is set up correctly for your height and seat length etc is vital and can make is so much easier.

and just make sure you never stop pedalling :)

if you think and train correctly you can go any distance.

Also take some sort of suppliment or something will keep u going while out on the bike.

hmm I suspect yours might be out of my budget, feel free to pm me a ball park figure. Thanks for the advice all of you :thumbs: I just wanna get a bike sorted and get out there!

I have a Bianchi myself. I do about 10-15 miles a day or so but usually on a mountain bike work provides me. Got a charity bike ride coming up soon (the day after Japfest, going to be shattered!), I can't decide if I want to do the 30 or 50 miler though :headhurt:. The best thing I ever did for my road bike was get some mountain bike pedals with SPD cleats, makes things so much more efficient.

I am looking to do a bike ride from Esbjerg, Denmark to Hoek Van Holland (about 600-700 miles give or take) next year now probably though. Doing it to raise money for Help For Heroes. It won't be a endurance event, I plan to do it over 17 days or so and take in the sights but might as well do some good while out there B). Biggest issue is that I will probably need to buy a new touring bike, my road bike doesn't take panniers and I plan to camp the whole route down.

I have a Bianchi myself. I do about 10-15 miles a day or so but usually on a mountain bike work provides me. Got a charity bike ride coming up soon (the day after Japfest, going to be shattered!), I can't decide if I want to do the 30 or 50 miler though :headhurt:. The best thing I ever did for my road bike was get some mountain bike pedals with SPD cleats, makes things so much more efficient.

I am looking to do a bike ride from Esbjerg, Denmark to Hoek Van Holland (about 600-700 miles give or take) next year now probably though. Doing it to raise money for Help For Heroes. It won't be a endurance event, I plan to do it over 17 days or so and take in the sights but might as well do some good while out there B). Biggest issue is that I will probably need to buy a new touring bike, my road bike doesn't take panniers and I plan to camp the whole route down.

good trip for a good cause. i like Bianchi's but had to get a ribble as they a good vfm.

what he said :thumbs:

Agreed.

When I was still do a heck of a lot of training for tri, rule of thumb was don't train to the distance, train near it, as the others have mentioned, and also try and put in a smaller ride in the same week, each week, so your body gets used to the whole idea of the distance, even if it's broken in two as such. This will make it easier to say do your 100 mile ride. Watch your nutrition and hydration too. :)

Watch your nutrition and hydration too. :)

Probably the most important thing along with having your bike set up properly. I have used those gel bars that runners and cyclists use. If you have proper cycling tops, they fit the the back pockets most tops have nicely. They have a few hundred calories in each and are good (maybe more a psychological thing for me though). I would have two one litre bottles of water on the bike also. Most bikes come with one drink bottle cage as standard but you can get a second for next nothing on eBay.