Car seems to be stuck on something! Brakes?

thebesh

Hi Guys

I have an 08 plate Zed and I've noticed before that when I start the car sometimes and go to move it seems to be "stuck" and it seems to be coming from the front wheels. My car is garaged and it's sat in there for a couple of days. Got in it today to go down to the shops and it was SUPER stuck - so much so I was worried about using the accelerator to pull it off whatever keeps sticking. It did come free and drove away fine, but this is the hardest it's ever stuck before.

I've left the car in gear and handbrake off - although I'm guessing the handbrake only locks back wheels?

The car is still under warranty and is due a service next month. I'm planning a big road trip this summer so I'd prefer to get this seen to as soon as possible.

Any ideas chaps?

If it's put away with some damp in and around the wheels, say from washing (even if you've dried the body) the rust forming on the bare steel discs will bind to the pads and after a relatively short time it will take a little effort to 'break' the grip. Even with the handbrake off. This will tend to clean up again once the car is used and the brakes are applied a few times.

Have you checked the discs for signs of rust, especially on the inside face where there is less air circulation and more chance of rust forming? If you move it forward, sometimes you can see 'witness' marks on the disc from the shape of the brake pads.

If you can rule this out, then obviously you need to get it checked out whilst it's still in warranty. But it sounds exactly like what I've described.

Best of luck.

I get this all the time with my VW Golf. If i leave it more than 1 day then the pads seem to stick to the discs. In fact last winter when i left my car for 7 days whilst I was on holiday, as i drove off the pads were so stuck to the discs that it actually pulled the pads clean off the back plates!!! Okay, so they were due for replacement anyway having been on the car for 4 years and 80k miles, but even id never had that happen before!

i know my rents had this on an old car they once had, the mechanic told them that its rust and tar getting stuk on the pads and then sticking to everything else it can.

He said to do either an emergency stop or pull the handbreak on slightly when driving, then once cleared you can drive like normal (obviously dont do it all the time!)

But my parents did the emergency stop a couple of times and it sorted it for good!

I'd say personally that it's fairly normal. However I'd still check the heat at the wheels after a journey over the road to work. If one side is hotter that the other then a sticky caliper is possible.

• 2 weeks later...