Put my car on a dyno

ir_fuel

Hi,

I had my completely stock 2006 Z dyno-d the other day to see how much Nissan lies in the given specs, and they do apparently ;)

275 hp at the cranck, and 310Nm.

The guy did several 350Z's already, none which got to their listed figures, the other 2006 he did had 270hp, and the older models all had around 260hp. Apparently same story for RX8, S2000 etc, basically all NA engines. E.g. an M3 which is listed at 343hp usually has around 320. The only NA engine manufacturer to have its numbers spot-on is Porsche apparently. For Turbo'd engines the results are much better generally speaking, because they are easier to finetune to get the correct hp (playing with boost pressure). Oh, and above 5k rpm the car was running too rich, but that seems to be happening to all 'stock' cars, so nothing new there. I ll try putting a scan of the run online in a couple of days.

Yeah, also my idea. You can use this as a reference, if you want to measure performance gains (or losses :D ). But you need to always test on the same one.

If i m not mistaken Porsche actually tests each car before it leaves the factory to ensure it has the correct amount of hp. Well, the premium you pay to get one should make a difference somewhere

:p

• 2 weeks later...
If i m not mistaken Porsche actually tests each car before it leaves the factory to ensure it has the correct amount of hp. Well, the premium you pay to get one should make a difference somewhere

Hmm. It would be a bit f*cking pointless running it in then if they had it going full beans on a dyno prior to accumulating any mileage.

Hmm. It would be a bit f*cking pointless running it in then if they had it going full beans on a dyno prior to accumulating any mileage.

it is pointless running in a new engine imho, as long as you wait until its up to working temperature before flooring it. But there are other components to a car too, like the gearbox, and most importantly, the driver, that also need running in B)

It is absolutely essential to run a new engine in, unlike gearboxes, engine require time to bed in, piston rings take time properly seat etc etc.

Hence why mineral oil is used, to allow a certain amount of wear to occur, and the tolerences to properly set themselves.

Dyno's are just a very approximate figure, the only way to get a proper engine figure is to run the motor on an engine dyno. ;)

It is absolutely essential to run a new engine in, unlike gearboxes, engine require time to bed in, piston rings take time properly seat etc etc.

Hence why mineral oil is used, to allow a certain amount of wear to occur, and the tolerences to properly set themselves.

Really depends on the manufacturer. Audi for instance delivers you a new car, and the first oil change only happens at 20.000 miles! And the car for sure isnt running on mineral oil those first 20.000 ;)

it is pointless running in a new engine imho,

Remind me to never buy a 2nd hand car off you!!!

Really depends on the manufacturer. Audi for instance delivers you a new car, and the first oil change only happens at 20.000 miles! And the car for sure isnt running on mineral oil those first 20.000 ;)

What makes you think it wasnt done at the factory? ;)

What makes you think it wasnt done at the factory? ;)

What makes you think it was? :teeth:

it is pointless running in a new engine imho,

Remind me to never buy a 2nd hand car off you!!!

You wont, the steering wheel is on the wrong side B)