Another bites the dust?

alessandro

i'm only in my early twenties and streching my finances to the limit to buy the Z was probably the stupidest thing i have ever done. a couple of months down the line and my old gti stilll hasnt gone and im still down the pooper as far as money is concerned. but i still manage to scrape my way through rent and living costs day to day and everytime i take the Z out, even just the 10 min journey to work, with the brilliant steering and V6 noise i find myself giggling to myself and patting the steering wheel, "good car" :cloud9:

i'm completely smitten with it, and allthough i have to be careful with my finances, i don't think i could live with myself going back to a luke warm hatch with rubbery steering and no sense of occasion.

the stupidest thing i ever bought. probably also the greatest.....

still wanna sell it? ;)

Tough decision really, but ive been there and done it. My choice was a VW Golf, PD engine. Does 60mpg daily on my commute to work. You can get the mk5 in a 140 or 170bhp version, pretty quick, easy to drive. Very cheap to run and service. Servicing mine cost me 60quid every 10k miles. Brake discs /pads cost about 70quid a full set front/back and lasts 80k.

Of course you aint gunna have the noise or experience of the v6, but the cash you`ll save on a daily basis is huge.

Then, in a few years time when you are better off, flog it and get something mad again. VW`s hold their value and so you wont loose huge amounts.

Tough decision really, but ive been there and done it. My choice was a VW Golf, PD engine. Does 60mpg daily on my commute to work. You can get the mk5 in a 140 or 170bhp version, pretty quick, easy to drive. Very cheap to run and service. Servicing mine cost me 60quid every 10k miles. Brake discs /pads cost about 70quid a full set front/back and lasts 80k.

Of course you aint gunna have the noise or experience of the v6, but the cash you`ll save on a daily basis is huge.

Then, in a few years time when you are better off, flog it and get something mad again. VW`s hold their value and so you wont loose huge amounts.

Exactly what I'm doing. Golf Tdi 170 gets stupid MPG and is still a nice quick(ish) car.

i must admit i went in my freinds A5 drop top 2 litre TD and it was incredibly smooth. as far as daily driving is concerned, they are faultless. great torque where you need it most. any gear really smooth strong torque delivery. they have similar engines across the entire vag range so youre safe with any of them, the new(ish) leon FR diesil looks fantastic, drives well and gives more than you could want from a diesil hatch.

if i had the space i would get an old westfield for a few grand for fun (they wont drop much below this value) and an VAG deisil for daily.

but as you can probably tell from my last post. theres a big difference between a hairy arsed full on drivers car like the Z, and a good deisil hatch that is tuned to fit a sporty daily drivers market. but i guess that depends what you want. - personally i like to give it a squirt whenever i feel like it, so running a Z as a daily makes good sense - great drive but easy to live with.

however if you want to save the most money driving every day. you will save money by having a cheep DERV and only running a cheap no-comprimise car over the summer, or only on track.

tough decision.

alternatively. i nice sporty medium size car like a 3-series or a focus st ( RS :drive1 ) would give you a bit of both worlds, and dont forget, in the real world, one car is probably going to be cheaper than 2 after tax MOT and servicing.

I owed a VW MK4 GTI good and realiable car but got bored as I needed something with a kick, don't like the look of the MK5, and the ST which is something that I would be considering won't save much much on petrol ( for what I've been told )

CrumbMC- I know what you're meaning and I'll probably still here next year :D

Skoda VRS MK1? Reviews seems good, main down point seems to be the luck of responces throught the stearing wheel when pushed which, apparenlty it's fixebla with some coilovers or other tricks