What do i use and in what order?

deank93

Morning all,

As it looks quite a nice day I'm planning on giving the Zed a good going over this afternoon, in anticipation of the chance to have a good clean I'd got rather excited while on the i4detailing website and spent a small fortune on various bits and bobs as recommended by the chap I bought the car from a few weeks ago...but I have a problem...I was given a list of what to buy and in what order to use it but that list seems to have done a runner so I was hoping if I listed everything I have one of you kind chaps might be able to offer me some much needed guidance...it's been a long while since I have owned a car worth caring about cleaning so have completely forgot how to do the best possible job.

Anyway, here is what I have:

An assortment of microfibre cloths including a dodo supernatural buffing cloth, wax pad, drying towel and a washing mitt

Durogloss car shampoo

Britemax ultrafine polishing glaze no.4

Britemax spray and shine wet look detail spray

Dodo juice supernatural wax

Foam tyre shine

Autoglym alloy wheel seal

Autoglym leather care balm

Autogylm leather cleaner

Any advice on the best order to use them in and and tips on how to best apply ie a panel at a time etc would be much appriciated.

Dean.

1. Wash - preferably with 2 buckets, one just water and one with soap. Rinse in water only first to remove most of the dirt then into the one with soap before washing the car.

2. Dry with towel - dab dont drag. Place towel on car and dab it down.

3. Polishing glaze. Do a panel at a time.

4. Wax - do a panel or 2 at a time. Let it haze over then wipe off. You will learn when it is hazed enough, leave it for about 10 mins at least in this weather. Apply it thin too.

5. Spay and shine. Leave the wax a good few hours to harden up before using this. If it were me, I'd leave it a few hours, layer up 2x wax, then wash again next week and top up using this spray. Wax once every 3-6 months, use the spray after each wash to keep shine topped up.

Wheels - sealer and tyre shine afterward when the wheels are clean and dry

Leather - use the cleaner first to remove dirt, then the care balm afterwards.

Thanks very much...I'm about to head out to start now but the wife has told me she wants to go and see the film Paul this afternoon so looks like it might just be a quicky today.

I'll be giving the car a proper clean next Saturday ready for the missbanzai tunnel run though.

Gents,

Just to piggy back onto this thread - I have never detailed a car, or gone through more than a simple wash / polish / wax. Now I am a newbie to the Church of Zed, but I feel that may ginger baby needs to be looked after more than anything else I've had before, so have been lurking on this here part of the forum trying to soak up info and methods like a sponge.

So - attached should be my shopping list at i4detailing. Would this suffice for a complete n00b like me? Would I struggle to get on with / use the products listed? Any suggestions / alterations?

Cheers, Andy :thumbs:

+1 on the microfibres, I have about 7 of them at the moment and each one does something different.

I got some Dodo Juice Red Mist. I heard a lot of good stuff about it and thought what the heck and got a 250ml bottle. I have only used it once after a quick wax (with cheapo wax, before getting DJ Blue Velvet) and the difference was great. Gave it that still wet look.

I was in the same boat as you only a few weeks ago. I sold a lot of these products for over a year and never really batted an eyelid. I now have a pretty good collection of stuff which I will add to as and when I feel I need to.

Well, I used all my kit at the weekend - fabulous result :) Would have taken a picture this morning, but she's covered in frost. I bought the Red Mist too - I thought it was an in-between-waxes type of cleaner rather than a post-wax operation? :shrug: If not, I'll get on that tonight after work :thumbs:

Red Mist is technically a quick deatiler, but its more like a sealant really. It should be used to spouse up the car finish, on top of wax (leave at least 24hrs after waxing before applying it or it will strip wax).