Porsche 997 GT3 RS at the Ring.

captain

That could've gone so very wrong at so many points. Why didn't the white car let him pass, as he was clearly quicker? Or if they were filming it for the footage, then he was miles too close to the white car just about all the way through. They were almost bullying the slower cars out of the way and sitting right up their backsides, which IMHO isn't on at those speeds, I don't care if they knew them or not.

I'm not saying that for the most part their driving wasn't impressive, and certainly they've got a great knowledge of the place, but for me that's not big or clever to drive in that way and not only shows very little respect for other drivers, but also very little respect for the track.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't dream of taking my zed on track there with idiot like that driving round... :surrender:

+1 Would love to drive around the track but its the other muppets i worry about!

Just to add, that video has in no way shape or form put me off going to the ring. It's just as bad on trackdays IMO *unless privately arranged. You just have to get out of the way... unless you want to push yourself and car close to it's limits that is... :dummy:

I last went in a Subaru RB5 around 320 brake,got taken by two german girls in a seat Ibiza 1.4,not happy! :thumbdown: fair play to them for having the balls.

On my first ever lap a Suzuki Swift kicked my arse good and proper :blush: , and i was on my R1 (160 hp/ 200kg wet) and i'm by no means a slow rider on the roads. TRACK KNOWLEDGE IS EVERYTHING!

Got to say I really enjoyed the vid & the sound of that engine :cloud9: Never expected to see a Hummer & that one chucking out the smoke was a sight to behold. Every time I see one of these vids I'm always amazed at the trust put into the slower cars to get out of the way in time :scare: I'd have to be wearing baggy trousers :lol:

Now we're talking.

M3 CSL. :thumbs:

Another one on my "next car" list which currently stands at:

Probable

Z4M coupe

M3 CSL

Cayman S

Carrera

Possible

GT-R

GT3

Gallardo

To be fair it didn't resemble a csl much after loaded were done with it. I just find most german cars leave me a little cold, the csl being an exception.

Now we're talking.

M3 CSL. :thumbs:

Another one on my "next car" list which currently stands at:

Probable

Z4M coupe

M3 CSL

Cayman S

Carrera

Possible

GT-R

GT3

Gallardo

To be fair it didn't resemble a csl much after loaded were done with it. I just find most german cars leave me a little cold, the csl being an exception.

Very true. :lol:

Very true. :lol:

Doesn't this give you a warm feeling?

page3.jpg

Looks like they don't like hotlinking, but, no, it doesn't float my boat :p I just prefer yankee v8's/italian v12's.

German cars are just so.... germanic :lol::p

Great vid, thanks for sharing! Love 911 GT3s.. they sound great and look awesome.

Made me laugh the bit where he bumped around a corner and smacked the windscreen wipers on around 3min. Reminds me of learner days haha.

The one in the white car was being a complete tool though. No lap time is worth getting within 10 feet of the car in front of you just to bully them out of the way. Surely getting that close to someone could just scare them into making a mistake. I absolutely hate tailgaters on normal roads (although.. when you have a Z you can usually leave them feeling a bit stupid!), but on a track it it is surely just the height of stupidity.

Still.. awesome driving apart from that.

Am I wrong to prefer this?

Yes.

In every way that is humanly possible. :headhurt:

:blush:

And this?

Fook that looked quick! Anyone know what time the last F1 car to do the 'ring did it in?

On 28 April 2007, Nick Heidfeld drove a BMW Sauber F1.06 Formula One car around the Nordschleife, on a BMW publicity day in combination with a VLN 4h endurance race.[97] For safety reasons, BMW announced that the car was slowed with hard demonstration tires, maximum ride height, and 275 km/h top speed limited by the transmission. Heidfeld drove three laps on the combined Nordschleife and short GP-track, as used in VLN races, with a track length of 24.433 km (so comparison with older records is difficult).

The official lap time released by BMW Sauber was declared to be 8:34 (thus ca. 30 seconds slower than the fastest Porsche 996 turbo in VLN). The German press duly reported this lap time, yet criticized BMW. In each lap, Heidfeld slowed down once to pose for a slow video truck, at Schwedenkreuz on the first lap 1, Kesselchen in lap 2, and Döttinger Höhe in the last lap. The two time spans in between the three passes of Heidfeld were clocked by some fans around the track, first Wehrseifen to Wehrseifen in about 7:28, then 7:22 from Klostertal to Klostertal, which is over 50 seconds quicker than the fastest current Porsche 997 GT3 RSR in VLN. This translates to an average of about 200 km/h (120 mph), similar to Bellof's record, but considering the slow GP section, Heidfeld probably was faster on the Nordschleife, close to 6 minutes. Fans who respect the official record of the late Stefan Bellof settle for an "estimated 6:12".

Road & Track magazine reported Heidfeld's lap was a 5:57 or 5:58 (for the Nordschleife only), breaking the track's six-minute barrier for the first time in history.[98] However, their times were done by measuring the speed in some corners, and then calculating a lap time, and not timing a full lap. Heidfeld has since expressed his desire to repeat the experience with less restriction.

According to formula one F1 Racing magazine of June 2006, BMW engineers had estimated that a BMW-Sauber F1.06 could lap in under 5:15.8[99] which equals to an average of 237 km/h (147 mph).