Erratic Idle/Throttle

charrold80

Hello,

Been driving the Z today after it's been parked up for 5 weeks.

I drove it for about 60 miles, all seemed well. After about 3 hours got back in. As soon as I started it up I noticed it revved quite high - up to about 2000 or 2200 - which seemed a bit odd as it wasn't like it was a particularly cold start.

When stopped in traffic, it is idling at 1500 and is fluctuating between 1500 and 2000. All with my foot off the accelerator. After 10 or 15 seconds of being stopped it settles at 1500rpm.

Also when driving I can feel that the throttle is hunting a bit. When I'm starting to slow down and just easing off the accelerator, there is a definite bit of randomness to the engine braking. With my foot in the same position, it will go from what I would consider a normal amount of slowing down to suddenly feeling like I've lifted off the pedal altogether.

Everything else seems normal when cruising, i.e. 2000rpm/6th gear/60mph/60psi oil pressure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Possible the butterfly in the throttle body. Could try a throttle body reset, there is a guide on here. Need a stop watch to make it easier. Sounds like it could possibly be air flow related so try that first to see if resetting the position will solve the problem. Sure some more techy people will be along soon though. :thumbs:

Did the Throttle Body Reset.

So far so good. Idling normally, no hunting.

If it happens again I guess I'll look at a Throttle Body clean. Just have no idea how to go about that. I open the bonnet and am fairly certain I can point out the engine, but that's about it! :surrender:

Its actually not that difficult to be honest. I am no mechanic and I have changed my plenum and throttle body a few times now. You will need to:

Remove strut bar

Take air filter box off and intake pipe

Unplug and remove throttle body (its 4 screws that I think are alan key type screws). Can be a git to undo these depending on how tight they are.

Just be careful not to move the butterfly too much, you will probably need to do another reset as well once all fitted back together. Probably an hours work taking your time.

If this helps this is a picture of the throttle body attached to the plenum:

Picture001-2.jpg

No need to remove the strut, you can take off the intake pipe easily around the strut. I used carb cleaner to clean mine, took off the intake tube, cleaned it (without moving the butterfly valve), put back the pipe, started it up and repeated a few times. Then do a reset and idle learning and you should be sorted :thumbs:

No need to remove the strut, you can take off the intake pipe easily around the strut. I used carb cleaner to clean mine, took off the intake tube, cleaned it (without moving the butterfly valve), put back the pipe, started it up and repeated a few times. Then do a reset and idle learning and you should be sorted :thumbs:

Good shout, I have to remove strut as I can't get the MAF off otherwise. Its right under the strut on the K&N Typhoon.