Scratchguard - my experience

mpkayeuk

Right. I drove up to the Brecon Beacons at the weekend with a model to take some photos (not of the car yet). Unfortunately she wasn't as careful with the paintwork as I might have been getting bags and what have you out of the boot. So I had a couple of very light scuffs on the paint to deal with on Sunday. The scuffs could not be felt by fingernail so were very light indeed. I decided I would give them a wipe down with 50% IPA and pour some hot water on them and see if Scratchguard would do its stuff. It didn't. And neither did my GF's fancy hairdryer. In the end I got the DA out and gave it a go with some Menz 106FA on a finishing pad. This got rid of the scuffs but revealed some slightly deeper imperfection underneath. I left the correction at that until I have enough to warrant a full correction on the whole car. They are totally unnoticeable marks unless you catch the light on them very close up anyway so I'm not worried. It now has 3 layers of Zaino Z2 finished with Z8 Grand Finale sealant. Looks cracking :p I did take some pics but I'm at work and they're on the camera at home.

The car certainly turns heads. Most noticeable is people on motorways and dual carriageways closing on you from behind and them moving to overtake you before hanging back to take a good look. Happened several times on Saturday. Also when you are at traffic lights, people gawping at the car I think trying to work out what it is :)

is it not sunlight it requires and not just heat?

Nope., just heat, but it sounds like it needs some proper heat - Infiniti in Reading use proper heat guns, not hair dryers ;)

The resin in the clearcoat will only react a limited number of times as it spreads itself across a scratch, so dont expect them to disappear, it will just lessen them. If you have a DA this will give much better results but will remove a tiny amount of clear coat

Yeah, I was only prepared to go so far with it before I got worried about potentially blistering the paint, heat guns are for stripping paint after all. How resilient is car paint? Even the water wasn't boiling (although very hot). I wonder if it will still work after taking to it with a DA though.

No idea bud, but I'd rather go at the paint with a DA like you did than a proper heat gun. TBH I think the effect is has is very limited and you're better off correcting it with traditional methods. Logically, if you have used the DA on it, it will only loose its healing properties if you got the paint hot enough to activate it, which I doubt you did. But you will have removed a few microns of the stuff, so there is less there to react now (albeit you've removed the scratches so it doesnt really matter). Hope that makes sense :lol:

• 1 year later...

Just done full correction on mine with Menzerna and found Scratchshield responded very well to the compounds but like yourself found no benefit from heating panels to try and remove the deeper imperfections. Heat guns would probably scare the hell out of me too, so will stick with the Rotary & Menz. I think where scratchshield comes into its own is its ability to recover minor surface damage which gives those horrible holograms and haze, which is pretty priceless as full corrections will be of less requirement so long as the deeper damage is avoided.