Quick Winter Tyre Review - Kuhmo KW27

mab1

Just thought I would post my thoughts so far having covered 600 or so miles since fitting a set of Kuhmo KW27 winter tyres to the zed.

First important thing to point out is I sourced (courtesy of ZMANALEX) some 17" Skyline G35 rims, which are apparently the OEM wheels for the JDM 350z "Base" and "Enthusiast" specifications. So the tyre sizes fitted are 225/50R17 front and 235/50R17 rear.

So thoughts so far in no particular order:

• [*:5iimlrl9]You can feel instantly to the touch that these are a much softer compound in comparison to the standard Bridgestones, plus the tread is much deeper.
    [*:5iimlrl9]On the road you can definitely feel the effects of the taller rubber/compound which translates to a subtle "rubbery" effect when leaning on the tyres under power and a less immediate initial bite on turn in.
    [*:5iimlrl9]The ride is slightly softer, if possibly a little bouncy over certain surfaces.
    [*:5iimlrl9]Grip levels in the cold (1-5 degrees) and wet are good, they do have a tendency to break traction a little earlier at low speed, but I am putting this down to a smaller contact patch.
    [*:5iimlrl9]They deal with standing water very well, much more stable feeling than the Bridgestones.

Summary: Obviously compromised in the looks and outright performance department, but definitely an improved overall experience in the nasty weather.

That is probably as far as I can go for now. Ill post a review when the summer wheels go back on in a couple of months, and an update if we are unlucky enough to get more of the white stuff!

Here is a pic just in case you want to see what the car looks like on 17's. Bet the first reply to this is needs lowering and spacers :lol:

• 3 weeks later...