Help!

Johnster

I've had a 350z coupe (GT model) for a week and I really don't like it!

The seat has no lumbar support so I've had nothing but backache ever since! A £30 lumbar support from halfords only partly helps.

I feel every bump on every road.

Everything slides round the boot whenever I drive anywhere.

I bang my head getting out and my knee getting in (and I'm only 5'9")!

Driving on open roads is great but driving round town is awful - the gear box is clunky and the gear stick is stiff; the car just hates being in first or second gear; the brakes seem unresponsive; the steering is heavy; it just seems like hard work to drive it around; reverse is terrible (rarely goes in gear first time).

The bluetooth doesn't work - though this, I am assured, is being fixed.

The seatbelt cuts into to me.

The lack of storage space is annoying.

The car's only redeeming features are its looks and the Bose sound system.

Am I going crazy????? I thought these cars were good.

I can live with all of the above apart from the backache. This is the one that needs solving as I cannot afford weekly trips to the osteopath and to wake up as stiff as a board. Does anyone know of a way of improving these godawful seats?

Help. Please

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, mate. :welcome:

The Zed has been designed to be an old school muscle-car type sports car. It's not a car built just for posing like an Audi TT and Nissan have engineered a certain amount of heft to the controls - steering, gearbox etc. - to appeal to those who would rather drive than cruise. Similarly the ride is firm (but a darn sight smoother than my Mini Cooper S) in the interests of handling. As a result it's not at it's best in town but show it an open road and (hopefully) you will understand what the engineers were getting at.

As for stuff in the boot, I'd recommend a luggage net. :thumbs: Sorted.

Getting in and out of the car I can only suggest you're more careful ( :blush: ) - I'm 5' 10" and have no problem. I can't help with the seat comfort and belts although Autocar recently complained about something similiar with their long termer and their somewhat expensive solution was fitting the NISMO sports seats. You do lose the electrics and leather though.

I don't want to appear rude but didn't you test drive the car before buying? What were you expecting and what type of car did you move from?

:)

Guest prescience

To stop stuff sliding - you need a luggage net; think Tim (lomoto) does these fairly cheap.

If you feel every bump, check your tyre pressures but you not gonna get a really soft suspension in a sports car like this

Nismo do aftermarket seats, as do Recaro and I am sure Cobra will too but you may need custom runners etc and to sort out the side air bags

There is room under the standard seats as far as I remember for the standard runners to be lowered a bit - you could look into this

Your gearbox sounds like its a back to the dealers if its that bad but it is a box which requires a bit of manly action (IMO that's good) - its not a TT box for example

You should never have even considered this car without knowing about the storage space and from the sounds without a proper test drive

Sell up and move on if you are that unhappy

Thanks to all for your constructive replies. Though I am tempted to sell up (and did call the dealer this morning to mention it to him - though he was out), I genuinely want to grow to love the 350Z. I like the car's looks and it's sound system but, as yet, little else.

Yes, I did test drive the car but there is a BIG difference between going for a fifteen minute test drive (at rush hour) and using the car regularly. I guarantee I WON'T get back pain after a fifteen minute spin in a car. It's the 30 min-1 hour or more drives to and from work (every day) that triggers this.

I said in my post that I can live with most of the 'faults'/'quibbles' that I have but the one that I really can't live with is back, shoulder and neck ache that gives me a groggy head.

So any further comments on this would be much appreciated.

PS - I knew that I was walking into a lion's den posting negative comments about the 350Z on an owner's board but I am pleased with the responses so far and welcome others.

PPS - to answer an earlier reply, my previous car was a Golf GTI 1.8T imported by motorpoint and, for half the price I paid for the Z, looking better value by the minute.

Thanks again

Jon

Guest prescience

Jon,

I hope people remain constructive too

I will see if I can dig out any further stuff on seats - I have sold my Z but not for any of the reasons you are unhappy with

First impressions are hard to change though :)

Get rid of it if you dont like it! If driving you Mad!

You cant go on in life THINKING things are good until you actual test it.

I fort lots of cars were good but test drove them and changed my mind.

Guess you've learnt from your mistakes and in future should give a car a proper good test drive.

Im over 6 foot and find plenty of room in the car couldnt believe the space when i first sat in it. Getting in and out is fine. 5"9 you should be fine unless you weight 20stone.

There are a huge amount of people that love the car and my opinion there are a small amount of people that dont like it. Think you fit in the sec category.

Sry this has happened to you and hope you dont loss of on too much money getting rid of it. People get the wrong cars all the time, people just need to do a good test drive.

If you think about getting a 350z = Dont go by what you hear or what other people think (Especially from this site cos there are all 350z crazy!) Test it out for YOURSELF!

My bluetooth adaptor wrks amazing wrks even tho my mob is in the boot. People interested in the bluetooth adaptor get it!!!! Amazing!

Again my opinion is different about the Bose i think the CD unit in it is not reliable with the skipping. Would like something different but looks good and functional with the steering wheel.

Seating is perfect to me. Been in Mercs and BMW and thing the 350z is just as good or even better. Take the seat out and replace it for a Micra seat that might help you.

Yeah the car is a bumpy ride but that is due to the racing suspension therefore its harder. Must sports cars have harder suspension than the normal practical car. 4x4s ride nice, trade it in for one of them is a suggestion for a nice ride.

haha, sounds about right.

anyway, i'm determined to try and enjoy the 350z for a couple of weeks before making a decision on it. i know that I will lose my shirt if I sell the car this soon but at the end of the day i can't survive on ibulieve and pain killers!

if i have a change of heart, rest assured I will be back on here telling you all how wrong I was, how amazing the car is and how you lot were right all along...

haha, sounds about right.

anyway, i'm determined to try and enjoy the 350z for a couple of weeks before making a decision on it. i know that I will lose my shirt if I sell the car this soon but at the end of the day i can't survive on ibulieve and pain killers!

if i have a change of heart, rest assured I will be back on here telling you all how wrong I was, how amazing the car is and how you lot were right all along...

How much did you pay for your zed?

I've had a 350z coupe (GT model) for a week and I really don't like it! yes hated mine for about 2 weeks when I first got it !

The seat has no lumbar support so I've had nothing but backache ever since! A £30 lumbar support from halfords only partly helps.

I feel every bump on every road. its a sports car with low profile tyres what did youb expect ? buy a Jag if you want ride quality

Everything slides round the boot whenever I drive anywhere. buy a cargo net, I sell one for £19 :teeth:

I bang my head getting out and my knee getting in (and I'm only 5'9")! I'm 6' 1" I dont have that problem, cant you bend ?? ;)

Driving on open roads is great but driving round town is awful - the gear box is clunky and the gear stick is stiff; the car just hates being in first or second gear; the brakes seem unresponsive; the steering is heavy; it just seems like hard work to drive it around; reverse is terrible (rarely goes in gear first time). sounds about par for the course, you will find it improves with practice

The bluetooth doesn't work - though this, I am assured, is being fixed. dunno I never use a mobile in a car

The seatbelt cuts into to me. buy a £5 seat belt pad , I did :D

The lack of storage space is annoying. buy a people carrier

The car's only redeeming features are its looks and the Bose sound system. you gotta be joking this is the worst feature :blush:

Am I going crazy????? I thought these cars were good. your crazy

I can live with all of the above apart from the backache. This is the one that needs solving as I cannot afford weekly trips to the osteopath and to wake up as stiff as a board. Does anyone know of a way of improving these godawful seats? HOW OLD ARE YOU FFS

Help. Please

:thumbs::teeth::p;):yahoo:

Guest prescience
Here is one seat option - which has the wiring loom issue covered also

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist. ... 2&small=17

If you wanna go Recaro, you'll need runners and mounts - information on the US forums for these

LOL at lomoto

more info here ..........

http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cf ... gory_id=77

i can recommend these guys for the work they did on my interior and i am sure they can customise your chosen seat to fit or lower the stock ones

http://www.precisiontrimming.co.uk/interiors.htm

Hi mate...

I'm really surprised anybody would dislike this car. I've had mine 4 weeks now and it's the best car I've ever owned! I had a Mk 4 golf GTi a while back and there is no comparison in comfort... the seats hold you nice and firm in my opinion and the golf won't touch the Z from a performance perspective... there's no getting away that the Z is a proper sports car, the golf GTi is a hatchback with spoilers and big alloy wheels.

Do you have a pre-existing back condition? I'm 6'2" and sure my head is close to the roof, but it's pretty roomy for a sports car. Have you used the up/down adjusters on the seat - I found it took me a while to get everything set right for myself, but now that's done I find it very comfortable. Last week I took it on long drives to Sheffield and Coventry (twice) from Basingstoke and can honestly say I didn't feel the slightest bit tired or stiff (and I used to feel both of those in my previous Saab!).

I agree that it doesn't like 1st gear much in traffic, but get it into second quick and it's fine. Odd that you find the clutch heavy - mine is not a problem, neither is the gear shift. Maybe you should take it back to the dealer and get them to check these things out!

I paid £29,000 but got a good price on the trade in and saved £450 on metallic paint.

you'll lose more than your shirt if you sell now? :blush: I think you will be arrested for gross indecency :teeth:

Definitely not wanting to patronise but I can take a few grand on the chin if it means I get a car I am better suited to

I paid £29,000 but got a good price on the trade in and saved £450 on metallic paint.

you'll lose more than your shirt if you sell now? :blush: I think you will be arrested for gross indecency :teeth:

Definitely not wanting to patronise but I can take a few grand on the chin if it means I get a car I am better suited to

Seems you've made your mind up! :bye:

Seems you've made your mind up! :bye:

not at all. if i can make it more comfortable, I will keep the car.

Johnster

I'm 6'2"and have never hadan issue, I also had a golf 1.8T (5 cars ago), AMD Hybrid special, if you get back ache, tilt your seat further forward so you sit straighter, I had the same issue, this solved it straight away. If you bang your head, that's because you've bought a sports car and its lower than your golf, I'm sure after a while the pain will remind you to duck. The gear box is heavy, it's a muscle car trait, round town I don't think its an issue ( I had an S2000 before, thats a fooking nightmare in traffic, the Zeds an angel in comparison). Seat belt = either cut down on the pies ( no offence mean't, you could be twiggy for all I know!). The boot has been answered.

I've had my car since July, I've had alot of other cars too, some up the scale, some down, but what I can tell you is I fooking love it and it will be a classic, start again and re-introduce yourself to it and you will find out it's a super car.

:thumbs:

Johnster

I'm 6'2"and have never hadan issue, I also had a golf 1.8T (5 cars ago), AMD Hybrid special, if you get back ache, tilt your seat further forward so you sit straighter, I had the same issue, this solved it straight away. If you bang your head, that's because you've bought a sports car and its lower than your golf, I'm sure after a while the pain will remind you to duck. The gear box is heavy, it's a muscle car trait, round town I don't think its an issue ( I had an S2000 before, thats a fooking nightmare in traffic, the Zeds an angel in comparison). Seat belt = either cut down on the pies ( no offence mean't, you could be twiggy for all I know!). The boot has been answered.

I've had my car since July, I've had alot of other cars too, some up the scale, some down, but what I can tell you is I fooking love it and it will be a classic, start again and re-introduce yourself to it and you will find out it's a super car.

:thumbs:

cheers for advice. will give the configuration of the seat another try and see where it takes me.

silly question time: should your neck actually touch the headrest? mine never has in any car i have ever had.