Taking out the standard single din jap stereo

350ZORRO

Hi I was hoping that someone could help me. I am eventually going to replace the single din unit for a double, but for now I bought an fm shifter.

This should be simple to fit, that is if I could get the standard stereo out of the bl**dy dash. Every way I look at it, it points to removing the whole carbon trim up to the 3 gauges. Surely there`s an eaiser way. I`ve never had any probs with all my other cars, and have always replaced the standard stereo and fitted loads of ICE, but I`m stumped with this.

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP. I`M GETTING SICK OF TERRY WOGAN. :rant::rant::rant:

LOMOTO, is the process the same with a triptronic car, because the area around the gear lever is obviosly defferent?

same as manual , only I'm not sure on trim removal sequence around the gear shift... give it a tug and see what happens :blush: works for most of the trim work on the Zed with no apparent screw fixings :D

LOMOTO, is the process the same with a triptronic car, because the area around the gear lever is obviosly defferent?

same as manual , only I'm not sure on trim removal sequence around the gear shift... give it a tug and see what happens :blush: works for most of the trim work on the Zed with no apparent screw fixings :D

CHEERS!!

These guys do a proper conersion of the head unit. They take it apart and put some new bits in. Think it cost around £200 though but has excellent results

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/caraudiovisual

Mike, 350ZORRO has the single DIN unit fitted, not really worth spending a couple of hundred ponds on this.. you can get a superb head unit for that sort of money :thumbs:

Quite a few of us will be interested to know how you get on with the removal. I've not yet dared to try to take off the gaiter around the tiptronic shift.

No garage and s**t weather :rant: have put a stop to me taking the dash apart this weekend. Will let u know when I`ve done it though.

Quite a few of us will be interested to know how you get on with the removal. I've not yet dared to try to take off the gaiter around the tiptronic shift.

No garage and s**t weather :rant: have put a stop to me taking the dash apart this weekend. Will let u know when I`ve done it though.

Photos would be good to, for anyone with a tiptronic :thumbs:

Photos would be good to, for anyone with a tiptronic :thumbs:

+1 :thumbs:

Hi. I have sorted the stereo out yesturday and the good news is that it only took me about 20 mins to do it.

All you have to do to remove the shifter trim on the Triptronic is, get a thin flat bladed screwdriver and put some insulation tape over the blade. Make sure you have drive gear selected. Then use the screwdriver to prize up the chrome gear surround, putting the driver under the edge closest to the rear of the car. With that removed you can get your fingers under the "carbon" trim and pull up. You need quite a good pull, but beware when it releases because there is a fragile flat ribbon type cable attached to this part so dont raise it too high when you release it. All you do then is follow the steps given for the manual Z. EASY!

The guide I used said to use the screwdriver to remove the "carbon" trim bit aswell, but I found it much eaisier to just pull it up.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Hi. I have sorted the stereo out yesturday and the good news is that it only took me about 20 mins to do it.

All you have to do to remove the shifter trim on the Triptronic is, get a thin flat bladed screwdriver and put some insulation tape over the blade. Make sure you have drive gear selected. Then use the screwdriver to prize up the chrome gear surround, putting the driver under the edge closest to the rear of the car. With that removed you can get your fingers under the "carbon" trim and pull up. You need quite a good pull, but beware when it releases because there is a fragile flat ribbon type cable attached to this part so dont raise it too high when you release it. All you do then is follow the steps given for the manual Z. EASY!

The guide I used said to use the screwdriver to remove the "carbon" trim bit aswell, but I found it much eaisier to just pull it up.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Excellent - thanks for this encouraging and helpful information. :thumbs: