Oil top-up

Space Cadet

Just need to top my oil level up, am probably at about ¼-1/3.

Without having to wait until I get home and dig the manual out, could anyone please tell me what the standard oil is, i.e. what I should buy on my way home to ‘match’ what’s already in there? (what’s the rating and is it synthetic?)

Also bearing in mind I’m at about ¼ - 1/3 how much should I buy and how much should I fill it up to?

Thanks

Guest prescience

About 1 litre takes you from the minimum (L) to maximum (H) mark on the dipstick - so you can work it out from that.

For the UK, Nissan recommends semi-synthetic 5w-30; Magnatec is perfectly fine

Note: Other people use slightly different viscosities (5w-40, 10w-40 etc) and many opt for fully synthetic.

About 1 litre takes you from the minimum (L) to maximum (H) mark on the dipstick - so you can work it out from that.

For the UK, Nissan recommends semi-synthetic 5w-30; Magnatec is perfectly fine

Note: Other people use slightly different viscosities (5w-40, 10w-40 etc) and many opt for fully synthetic.

...any danger in the use of full-synthetic?

Bought some oil last night from Halfords, just a 1 litre bottle of Magnatec like suggested, 5w-30 (was about £9.99).

As assistant came over to ask if I needed any help, I think he wanted to show off his computer directory thing so I just humoured him – they have got the Z as neading 5w-40!?

Anyway I bought the 5w-30 as I thought you guys would probably know better and when I got home I actually checked it against the Hand-book….. which stated 5w-30 – so Halfords have got it wrong!!!

Obviously not sure if makes any difference, but some people, like me, must just be topping up so presumably need the same grade of oil and if I hadn’t consulted you guys before hand would have taken Halfords advice and mixed 5w-40 with the 5w-30 already in there.

Quick question – I think the Magnatec is fully synthetic, would it matter if I mix it with a non or semi synthetic oil if that’s what’s already in there?

Obviously for all I know may be it’s already fully synthetic, was serviced by Nissan before I bought it so I don’t know.

Quick question – I think the Magnatec is fully synthetic, would it matter if I mix it with a non or semi synthetic oil if that’s what’s already in there?

Magnatec is Semi-Synthetic.

And no it won't do any harm if you were to mix a Full Synthetic with a Semi-Synthetic or mineral oil.

And no it won't do any harm if you were to mix a Full Synthetic with a Semi-Synthetic or mineral oil.

any oils, better than no oil :blush:

Thanks for that Einstein :wacko:;)

Thanks for that Einstein :wacko:;)

Brake fluid :p

Castrol recommend Edge Sport 0w-40w over their Magnetec Range as it has to comply with the oil spec laid down by Nissan. However at £36 for 4 litres (so you will have to buy another litre for an oil and filter change) it is tad expensive. Halfords recommend their 5w-40w as it is fully synthetic and meets Nissan's spec. Just one point though. If the car is new, the engine does need to 'bed in' and it is better to have a semi synthetic oil for the first 3k miles to allow this to happen. Use Fully synthetic early on and the engine never quite reaches it 'full potential'. No matter what anyone says, change your engine oil and filter after the first 1500 miles. Any swarf etc left in the engine is got rid of. Lots of new engines are run in on a 'bedding in oil' (Mildly abrasive) at the factory. As we have alloy lumps do not know in the case of our Z's. Don't forget to exchange it for a Nissan OEM Filter if the car is within it's warranty period just in case there is a problem and they put it down to using non OEM parts. i.e Get out clause and hence to warranty. Hope this helps. :)

Castrol recommend Edge Sport 0w-40w over their Magnetec Range as it has to comply with the oil spec laid down by Nissan. However at £36 for 4 litres (so you will have to buy another litre for an oil and filter change) it is tad expensive. Halfords recommend their 5w-40w as it is fully synthetic and meets Nissan's spec. Just one point though. If the car is new, the engine does need to 'bed in' and it is better to have a semi synthetic oil for the first 3k miles to allow this to happen. Use Fully synthetic early on and the engine never quite reaches it 'full potential'. No matter what anyone says, change your engine oil and filter after the first 1500 miles. Any swarf etc left in the engine is got rid of. Lots of new engines are run in on a 'bedding in oil' (Mildly abrasive) at the factory. As we have alloy lumps do not know in the case of our Z's. Don't forget to exchange it for a Nissan OEM Filter if the car is within it's warranty period just in case there is a problem and they put it down to using non OEM parts. i.e Get out clause and hence to warranty. Hope this helps. :)

Great advice. Better option than the Edge Sport (I would say) is to contact Opie Oils, I've just ordered from Guy there and got 5l for £38.99 delivered (with forum discount) :teeth:

Great advice. Better option than the Edge Sport (I would say) is to contact Opie Oils, I've just ordered from Guy there and got 5l for £38.99 delivered (with forum discount) :teeth:

Sounds a good deal from Opie Oil's. :thumbs: