Crankshaft sensor problem..

waltzinblack

Hi all,

I did a search for this, but couldn't find anything that was on the problem I've just had. Car is a 54 plate UK spec bought from WLMG Mill Hill about a month ago. I don't know whether it would have had any effect, but they MOTd before selling, and it was serviced about 4k ago.

Basically, it's been fine, a few rough noises here and there but I was led to believe that this is expected with the Z! However, the other day I was driving around town, stopped on a steep hill to answer the phone. When pulling away, the revs kept jumping wildly and the car was jerking forwards. I originally just dismissed it as a possible almost stalling of the car :blush: and it went a bit extra herp derp because of the hill, and drove on.

Got to the top of the hill, where it was level, and pulled away onto a main road. The revs were jumping and the car was jerking again. I pulled over and noticed the engine management light on. Turned ignition off and on again, and the car coughed and spluttered a bit and then concked out.

Being a young driver, and not a member of any breakdown service, I waited in the car frantcially ringing people worried that I'd destroyed my car! :scare: However, after about 15 mins I realised I was annoying the people driving down the main road by being broken down and in the way, and noticed a side road about 200 yards ahead. I turned the engine on and pulled away and into the side road with no problems, but the engine management light still on. Recovery man met me at the car the next day (I wasn't far from home but didn't want to risk driving it too much) and we diagnosed the problem as the crankshaft position sensor.

He told me it could've been the bad weather made it dirty, and that clearing the error could make it fine again, or that I could need the crankshaft cleaned or replaced. Anyhow, with the light gone, the car was fine and I drove it home with no issues.

I'm considering sending it in to Nissan to make sure there are no problems. Has anyone had this problem before? Expensive? Would it usually be covered under a warranty? I'll check in my warranty booklet too... Also, if it's likely to be a small job, would it be better to just send it to my independent little garage round the corner to have a look at?

Sorry for the long post about what's probably nothing! Thanks for your help :)

If you've only had it a month then take it back to where you bought it and get them to check it out. They have a duty of care to sell you a car that is in good working order.

+1 shouldn't cost you a penny cause you've had it for such a short period.

you can do a ECU reset. Check the guides section. This will clear the fault error and the light on the dash will go off.

As above, take it back to where you bought it and get it checked properly. the crank sensor could be on its ways out so get them to foot the bill

It's not a major issue ...

I had a problem with the Crank Position Sensor on my Zed about 6 months after I got it ..

The sensor costs around £65 from Nissan and it should only take a garage about 10 minutes to fit it ...

But I'd probably go back to the place where you purchased it from first to see if you can get it done for free ...

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it went back to Nissan, and turns out it was covered under warranty anyway, so there were no headaches trying to get them to pay for it.

It was 'ready' today, so I purchased my travelcard and spent my morning sitting on freezing train platforms and changing tubes to get to Mill Hill. Got there and was so happy to have my car back, drove it home and all was well.

Took it down the A10 with the idea of taking it to Mr Bubbles ;) What happens? Engine juddering. Crankshaft sensor. The thing they had supposedly replaced and fixed had become problematic again.

When a mechanic came out he told me there were 4 sensors, and that perhaps 2 were faulty in the first place, Nissan replaced one that showed up (it's such an annoying, intermittent fault) and left another one in that hadn't come up as faulty.

It's going back there tomorrow, but has anyone else had a persistent crankshaft sensor problem? Like I said, supposedly they replaced the faulty one - anything else that could be causing it?

Cheers for all the help. I wish my Z would stay alive long enough for me to enjoy it!

They should not really get this diagnoses wrong as the fault code should identify which sensor is giving you grief.

Perhaps there may be an issue with the air gap at the CPS if it is throwing up the CPS code.

Perhaps it may be a cam position sensor or the MAF sensor.

Back to Nissan, Consult 2 is your friend :#1:

Alex. :)