MREV2 Lower Plenum Install with pics

Wasso

Herewith below some nice pics of my MREV2 Lower Plenum install. I undertook the install with my own bare hands!! :yahoo: Since purchasing the Zed I've been a tad worried about working on this fine specimin of an engine, although after purchasing my shinny plenum, I had a go at fitting with no issues. Then I thought okay, stage two, the lower plenum. So with a torque wrench in hand and various other tools I set out to remove my upper plenum and then my lower plenum.

Did I find it difficult, no, not really, although did I ever think I could put my un-mechanical hands to this job six months ago, well no!! But after enough reading and dutch courage I set about removing the necessary....

Engine nice and clean - all bolted together before my dreaded socket set and torque wrench!!

6520ddcf.jpg

11a16661.jpg

8261bcbd.jpg

Engine cover off!

d62b31c3.jpg

Upper and lower plenum off!!

14e4dc8c.jpg

0ae9521d.jpg

MREV2 Lower Plenum installed

23c63d48.jpg

6acef961.jpg

Upper plenum installed again with air induction etc

2222d3c2.jpg

Car is now back together again.... :yahoo:

8d527919.jpg

Hey guess what - I even have some dyno charts to accompany this fine work. Thanks again to Mark @ Abbey for working on my car, especially as we were planning on mapping the Nitrous with the lower plenum, although Mark found an issue with the NOS controller (long story). But thanks again Mark for your dedication to trying to fix the issue. :thumbs:

So the below charts represent the power gains of the lower plenum, although without any Nitrous readings for now. (I guess that means another visit to Abbey :clap: )

Chart1.jpg

Chart2.jpg

Sorry, yes I should have mentioned the representing lines of which was before and after, and like Darren say's the darker red line is with the MREV2.

I might let you have a drive of her next time, that way you can experience the difference without a heavyweight passenger ;):lol:

Just looking at the differences I can confirm from my stock reading (at the hubs) was 240.6 and now 262.6 - a gain of 22 hhp, with the conversion that makes a total gain of 25.7 bhp.

To get that has required the install of Air Induction, Lower Plenum, Plenum Spacer, XYZ Pipe and De-cats.

I'm hoping that with the Nitrous mapped in I should see around 313 at the hubs :thumbs:

Although the sound and pick up at 4k is sensational.... just can't wait for the NOS to be running again :teeth:

Anyone fancy sponsoring me for a stroker kit??? :thumbs:

Sorry, yes I should have mentioned the representing lines of which was before and after, and like Darren say's the darker red line is with the MREV2.

I might let you have a drive of her next time, that way you can experience the difference without a heavyweight passenger ;):lol:

Just looking at the differences I can confirm from my stock reading (at the hubs) was 240.6 and now 262.6 - a gain of 22 hhp, with the conversion that makes a total gain of 25.7 bhp.

To get that has required the install of Air Induction, Lower Plenum, Plenum Spacer, XYZ Pipe and De-cats.

I'm hoping that with the Nitrous mapped in I should see around 313 at the hubs :thumbs:

Although the sound and pick up at 4k is sensational.... just can't wait for the NOS to be running again :teeth:

Anyone fancy sponsoring me for a stroker kit??? :thumbs:

mmm nice numbers whats after the y pipe? (oem box?) & what decats do you have ?

I was going to have the Berk ones, but Mark couldn't get them. To be honest I'm very happy with the sound. I'd say a custom exhaust would be nice but not essential. Need to start saving pennies and pounds for next year :headhurt:

Nicely done. Did you have to replace the gasket between the engine and MREV2 or can you re-use it?

Taking the plenum spacer off is no problem as it sits freely between the upper and lower plenum, and doesn't require any type of sealant to maintain it's position once everything is in place.

Once you remove the plenum spacer there is a thin metal gasket, this is used and put back on. It doesn't seem to corrode, and wasn't stuck down, so as easy as swapping the plenum spacer and can be used again with no fuss.

The only thing to watch for being that it's fairly thin is that you don't bend the metal gasket once you re-sit it back on top of the lower plenum, as this could create an air leak. (They were notes on the Motorydyne instruction page on their site).

All in all very easy, apart from detaching and attaching the various hoses that connect to the upper and lower plenum, they are to be honest the hardest parts of the install, because some of them are very hard to reach. :thumbs:

Based on the cost of the plenum spacer and the lower plenum it gives noticable gains. Note: The MREV2 only gives benefit to 06+ onward vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries fella - I was rather pleased myself to be honest. I feel very withdrawn over these winter months, not being able to work on the car, either mod's or cleaning her!

I was actually thinking myself about doing a build thread from day 1 to current day.... I managed a fair amount of work in 12 months, just looking forward to next year and the exterior of the car :thumbs:

yeah i know what ya mean bout the winter months its not good is it, although saying that my mate has a his own garage so i can use that when ever unless they are very busy.

im working on the exterior at the mo. but i do need to get a plenum spacer sorted and y pipe n de-cats.. but im after a new exhaust really, i love the sound of this scorpion one but not the look im after, i want two single cans like the k1 or BC etc. so im just trying to decide what to do... decisions decisions ey lol