Joy to the world...

...well west yorkshire at least.

My and the missus pick up our new sunrise coupe in a week an-a-bit

Can't wait :yahoo:

I've been lurking for a couple of months while choosing what car to go for next and I have to say I have found this board so far to be a pleasant experience and full of informed debate.

Long may it continue.

Cheers! :thumbs:

...well west yorkshire at least.

My and the missus pick up our new sunrise coupe in a week an-a-bit

Can't wait :yahoo:

I've been lurking for a couple of months while choosing what car to go for next and I have to say I have found this board so far to be a pleasant experience and full of informed debate.

Long may it continue.

Cheers! :thumbs:

by the way I think you mean Sunset not "Sunrise" otherwise known by some on here as rust :teeth:

Cheers Guys.

I guess I thought the colour was sunrise cause it's Japanese :headhurt: - can I get away with that one cause I'm a newbie?

The Tivs aren't all mine :blush:

The first and last are my P&J T350. Poorly sick with enginitus at the moment.

The others are from track days where wild machinery was on view, the best was a le mans T400. Poor quality vid linked below if you want to hear it. No-one on the day will forget the noise that thing made. within 5meters everones stomach was vibrating - freaky!

I'll edit my sig when the big Z arrives.

Cream2005.jpg

th_DSCF0032.jpg

th_DSCF0005.jpg

How have you found the T350. Has it been reliable. It's not a dig just interested to see what you think. :)

Interesting question.

I haven't had any niggles that I know some owners have had. The fit and finish are pretty good and it seems to be wearing well.

I managed to fry my engine though. Head gasket went boom and the block warped. Not Good! I'm not too upset as I had some good advice to expect it to behave like a supercar and salt away some cash for an engine rebuild one day.

I love the looks and the sound it makes, but it is a little uncouth for a daily driver, but perfect for highdays and holidays.

TVR have had some problems with inconsistent engine build quality, some are great and have no probs, there are a few cerbs with over 130,000miles but there are also a few with significant problems. That's not to say it's unusual with powerful cars - visit the 911 forum on pistonheads and ask about 996 engine reliability if you want a hard time :rant: . But TVR could do a lot better with customer service and warrenty hassles.

All that said, I don't regret buying it. The ability to polarise opinion of everyone you meet - love or hate at garages, abroad, hotels is eye opening and good fun. As an experience the acceleration and wail above 4000rpm that's makes women in the passanger seat sqeak :teeth: is one to be remembered into my dotage.

Interesting. Nice to hear you love the car even with it niggles.

Is it true that apparently there is a design fault with the tvr engine. Heard that there is a oil feed problem

I can relay some opinions for you;

1) There does seem to be a reasonable incidence of top end problems

2) Hearsay would suggest that there was a batch of dodgy finger followers, that were not marked so impossible to tell which cars they went in :wacko:

3) Some dealers have suggested a camshaft replacement (too extreme profiles?)

4) There are at least 3 independent garages doing rebuilds, using their own fabricated components (as mine will have once rebuilt :thumbs: )

5) Mr Melling (SP6 and AJP8 designer) gave a talk in 2004 to TVR owners where he poured scorn on TVRs effort to productionise his design. The idies have various methods of returning the SP6 the Melling original

Every car is a compromise somehow, I found it best to do the homework before plunging in, setting myself a realistic expectation of the car's capabilities, reliability, costs and most importantly grin's per mile :teeth:

Interesting. Nice to hear you love the car even with it niggles.

Is it true that apparently there is a design fault with the tvr engine. Heard that there is a oil feed problem

I can relay some opinions for you;

1) There does seem to be a reasonable incidence of top end problems

2) Hearsay would suggest that there was a batch of dodgy finger followers, that were not marked so impossible to tell which cars they went in :wacko:

3) Some dealers have suggested a camshaft replacement (too extreme profiles?)

4) There are at least 3 independent garages doing rebuilds, using their own fabricated components (as mine will have once rebuilt :thumbs: )

5) Mr Melling (SP6 and AJP8 designer) gave a talk in 2004 to TVR owners where he poured scorn on TVRs effort to productionise his design. The idies have various methods of returning the SP6 the Melling original

Every car is a compromise somehow, I found it best to do the homework before plunging in, setting myself a realistic expectation of the car's capabilities, reliability, costs and most importantly grin's per mile :teeth:

Thanks for shedding some light on that :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

:yahoo:

Z has landed

Sun2_350z.jpg

Sun1_350z.jpg

First impressions - I like it more the longer I'm in it! The torque on low revs is much more than I remember from the test drive and yes I am being nice and running her in gently. Best quality stereo I've heard in a car so much better than the Bose effort in my old TT or £1200 Harmon Kardon unit in my daily driver MG ZT.

I Instantly feel at home with the controls and drivng position except maybe the trip computer is a bit of a reach if you mess with it as much as I do. Can't comment on the comfort of the seats yet as only done 50 miles.

I have to say I was very impressed with the main dealer sales team, not pushy like some, also gifted my and missus with Z key rings and a rather posh flower arrangement with colour coded ribon as he knew the car was for my missus mainly.

One slight niggle maybe - when sitting in traffic there is a smell of hot oil/grease maybe, seems to be comming from drivers side front, I suspect sticking brakes, but will run it for a little while yet to see it if beds down on its own.

Bluetooth/phone unit was a bit of a shock - a voice recognition system that understands my accent with no training is a first for me!

I noticed over nasty potholes the gearlever (gearbox and engine I'm guessing) seems to be suspended diffrently to the passenger cell, I'm guessing this is deliberate to allow the passenger cell to be more distanced from large shocks.

I noticed the rear view mirror makes me feel as if I am doing 100mph when I am only doing 20 cause it jumps and vibrates around so much - is this typical?

The rear view mirror is a bit loose moving it side to side. Couldn't see an obvious adjustment.

v. minor anyway.

Loving the Orange factor - went for the orange seats, gearlever and handbrake. It's not as wacky as it sounds - honest. ;)