Number plate light cluster

sasha@lazytrips

Hi guys,

I've got a fairly specific question. I've got a UK zed with a UK number plate light cluster with the boot opening mechanism. I've recently upgraded to a Do-Luck bumper with a Jap-sized number plate and an appropriately sized hole. I've got a problem where the hole is much smaller than my cluster and as a result I can't replace the bulbs which fail due to overheating as the holes are not big enough.

Do imported zeds have a narrower cluster? If not, does anyone have any idea what I can do other than make the gap above the number plate wider which ideally I would not like to do?

Taking off the rear bumper to replace a bulb every few weeks is really not cool.

Replace the bulbs with LED ones?

I only assuming that LEDs don't burn out as they don't produce that much heat, other wise I think it may be a hole enlargement jobbie :shrug:

yeah pretty much my thinking too :thumbs:

still want it to fit the hole as you dont want water getting into your electrics :)

basically, above the number plate is a gap for your boot button and the two numberplate lights. The UK rectangular number plate indent has a longer hole above it than the Do-Luck one. Therefore approximately 1/3 of each light is showing directly through the hole with the rest being to the side.

My question was whether that light/button cluster for imports is shorter/narrower than the UK one (ie. is the hole above the numberplate smaller for imports?).

Ideally I wouldn't like to cut into the bumper, so any solution which avoids that is preferable. Putting in LEDs doesn't really address the problem that is the fact that changing bulbs means removing the bumper and that the full amount of light does not actually go through to the numper plate. I don't have any photos, but if you think of the gap above the numberplate that I'm talking about, you'll understand what I mean.